GS2 AC drive Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSanders

I have a GS2 AC Drive hooked up in three phase 480, to A 1 HP Nema motor. This runs a 30 foot conveyor with 2000 pounds on it at any given time. The input voltages read within two volts of each other at the starter before the drive, and when power to the drive is on the motor will accelerate only until about 27 then the OL trips on the drive. OL trips automatically with any weight on the belt, but when i unhook the gearbox from the drive roller, no OL. ?

the motor will accelerate only until about 27 then the OL trips on the drive. OL trips automatically with any weight on the belt, but when i unhook the gearbox from the drive roller, no OL. ?

We need to know about the acceleration times. What do you have in parameter P 1.01?

Also how long does it take for the VFD to trip in seconds?

Have you tried a restore to defaults P9.08? sometimes things get scrambled and returning to defaults will clear the issue. (Note this will return the drive to factory settings you will need to reprogram.)

In your original post you mentioned
OL trips automatically with any weight on the belt, but when i unhook the gearbox from the drive roller, no OL.

Have you tried emptying the belt and still connected to the gearbox?

kwired

Electron manager
I have to second most additional information that has been requested. Particularly what exactly is tripping, and if it is internal "motor overload" you may need to check other drive parameters. Typically if you have problems with acceleration/deceleration parameters you will get over/under voltage errors more so then motor overload errors. Unless you have a really long acceleration time you haven't had time to trip motor overload, unless maybe it's setting is extremely low for the application.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Assuming that you or someone knows for sure this motor SHOULD be able to accelerate that conveyor, and assuming that by saying "the OL trips on the drive" that you know what the trip code is, and it is motor overload, then it must be something else. Too aggressive of an acceleration ramp profile as suggested already is a district possibility, but not being able to accelerate even unloaded makes that unlikely, unless maybe the belt is too tight.

One other really common mistake that causes symptoms like this, is that you have a 230/460V motor, and someone connected it for 230V, not 460V, but the output from the drive is based on 460V. What happens is, the motor saturates almost immediately because the V/Hz ratio is double what it should be. So then it is drawing more current than it should, but because most of that current is now just heating up the windings instead of doing useful work, it cannot produce enough torque to accelerate the load. At 27Hz, the VFD is likely attempting to limit current by limiting speed, which is how it does that, but it's not working because of the motor misconnection, so eventually the VFD has to protect the motor and trip.

If by chance this is an IEC motor that is set up for 400Star/230Delta, something like that, then you would connect it in Star for 460V.

Last edited:

TSanders

sorry guys , checked all the settings on the drive and found that whoever set it had the amperage too high. over time the motor developed an open winding, started pulling too much current. I put a bigger HP motor on the gearbox and reset the parameters. The drive engaged and ran, and the specs are within operating range. sorry for being short with my reply before.

Status
Not open for further replies.