User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Mounting Components on a Type Z Purged Enclosure

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,161
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Mounting Components on a Type Z Purged Enclosure

    I have an enclosure residing in a CID2 area that I would like to apply Type Z pressurization to so that I can mount GP components inside the enclosure. I know inside the enclosure, general purpose components can be used.

    I have a touchscreen monitor that is itself rated for Class I Div 2. I want to mount the CID2 touchscreen on the purged enclosure. The enclosure will have a cut-out, and the touchscreen will be installed directly through the cutout on the enclosure door.

    Should I be concerned about pressurization effects on the touchscreen? Does the touchscreen need to be rated for the pressurization?
    Time is of the essence, and I am low on essence. ~ Graham Hill

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Mission Viejo, CA
    Posts
    5,632
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as you maintain proper pressure, your proposal is acceptable.
    "Bob"
    Robert B. Alexander, P.E.
    Answers based on 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,161
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the response. My concern is if the Type Z pressurization can damage the touchscreen. Should the screen have a specific rating for the pressurization?
    Time is of the essence, and I am low on essence. ~ Graham Hill

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Mission Viejo, CA
    Posts
    5,632
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fifty60 View Post
    Thank you for the response. My concern is if the Type Z pressurization can damage the touchscreen. Should the screen have a specific rating for the pressurization?
    Why don't you ask your whole question at the beginning? I don't believe I will attempt to answer any more of your questions in the future until you have had the opportunity to run some other responder around the garden first. In any case, the pressure differential for Type Z is fairly low and a "pressure rated" touch screen is unnecessary.
    "Bob"
    Robert B. Alexander, P.E.
    Answers based on 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Northern illinois
    Posts
    17,452
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rbalex View Post
    Why don't you ask your whole question at the beginning? I don't believe I will attempt to answer any more of your questions in the future until you have had the opportunity to run some other responder around the garden first. In any case, the pressure differential for Type Z is fairly low and a "pressure rated" touch screen is unnecessary.
    I asked this very question of AB once about Panelview terminals maybe 15 years ago. They came back with a list of model numbers that they felt were suitable for use in pressurized enclosures and some that were definitely not suitable. The product manager told me if it was not on the list it had not been verified one way or the other. There did not seem to be any discernible pattern of what was OK and what was not to me.
    Bob

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Mission Viejo, CA
    Posts
    5,632
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by petersonra View Post
    I asked this very question of AB once about Panelview terminals maybe 15 years ago. They came back with a list of model numbers that they felt were suitable for use in pressurized enclosures and some that were definitely not suitable. The product manager told me if it was not on the list it had not been verified one way or the other. There did not seem to be any discernible pattern of what was OK and what was not to me.
    Were all the units in question otherwise suitable for Class I, Division 2? Even those AB thought were “definitely not suitable”?
    "Bob"
    Robert B. Alexander, P.E.
    Answers based on 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fifty60 View Post
    Thank you for the response. My concern is if the Type Z pressurization can damage the touchscreen. Should the screen have a specific rating for the pressurization?
    I have over 30 installations with HMI touch screens (various mfgr's) and have had zero issues w/ pressure on the panel, nor keeping a purge to meet the purge kit requirements. I think you'll be fine. If you're running anything over a few ounces of pressure/psi, you've got other issues you need to take care of.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •