In what scenario for a stove would using a 50a breaker for #8awg be permitted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk
In the scenario wherein the stove is actually a 5HP 230V single phase motor and has a starter with OL heaters that will not allow more than 32A perhaps?

#8 is rated for 40A. You have to size wire for 125% of the continuous load, so 32 x 1.25 = 40A.

You can't put a 50A breaker as the only OCPD on a conductor rated for 40A.

JohnDS

Occupation
Electrician
Thanks for the replies. I may have read into this wrong but I was under the impression that a stove is not considered a continuous load. Can you confirm this? Or were you refering to the hypothetical situation of the stove having a motor?

Carultch

In the scenario where both the wire and the terminations on both sides, are rated for 75C or greater. You cannot do this with ROMEX, as Romex (NM cable) has a specific rule to require 60C termination considerations, 334.80. You'd likely be using conduit and THHN/THWN/THWN-2 wire.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Thanks for the replies. I may have read into this wrong but I was under the impression that a stove is not considered a continuous load. Can you confirm this? Or were you refering to the hypothetical situation of the stove having a motor?

A stove is not a continuous load. It cycles on/off via a thermostat so it's not on (full) for the required 3 hours that defines continuous loads.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If you used MC cable with 75° C terminals on both ends you could use a 50 OCPD with the #8 conductors.

kwired

Electron manager
If you are using conduit and THHN.

I believe there was a short time in the 1990's when romex got upgraded insulation that guys were using the 75 degree scale in 310.15.

I could be wrong, but that was about the time they developed "NM-B" which is all you can get now and I believe is even required in NEC to use type NM-B for all new wiring.

AFAIK you were always required to size NM cable per 60degree ampacity table as minimum size, but could use higher temp table for ampacity adjustments if the cable were rated higher temp. NM-B is rated 90C.

JohnDS

Occupation
Electrician
I could be wrong, but that was about the time they developed "NM-B" which is all you can get now and I believe is even required in NEC to use type NM-B for all new wiring.

AFAIK you were always required to size NM cable per 60degree ampacity table as minimum size, but could use higher temp table for ampacity adjustments if the cable were rated higher temp. NM-B is rated 90C.
So, still no good on 8/3 romex with 50a breaker?

kwired

Electron manager

For the range, no. For a motor or air conditioning circuit, generally would be allowed, but motor full load (times 1.25) or MCA still needs to be 40 or less.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

For a stove no but it might be possible that the stove can use a 40 amp OCPD which would work with the #8 NM cable. How many KW?

JohnDS

Occupation
Electrician
For a stove no but it might be possible that the stove can use a 40 amp OCPD which would work with the #8 NM cable. How many KW?
I dont have specs, it was just a question that popped up in general that I was curious about because i had overheard someone suggesting a 50 can be used.

kwired

Electron manager
I dont have specs, it was just a question that popped up in general that I was curious about because i had overheard someone suggesting a 50 can be used.

A 50 can be used where the 8 AWG is allowed to be sized per 75C ampacity table. If you have NM cable you must use 60C ampacity table.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Was this in the code?

I couldn't find it. I looked back as far as the 1975 NEC and that had the 60° C limitation. The 1984 required NM cable to contain 90° C conductors and the 60 ° limitation remained.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I couldn't find it. I looked back as far as the 1975 NEC and that had the 60° C limitation. The 1984 required NM cable to contain 90° C conductors and the 60 ° limitation remained.

Guess it was simply be accident in ActionDave's case. I remember chating with MasterTheNec with him saying SE had a 75*C outer jacket and NM having a 60*C outer jacket. Which would explain why NM is still restricted to 60*C.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I think the issue gets a bit more complicated in that Note 4 to Table 220.55 would allow you to power a Household range up to 13kw on a 40 amp circuit.

user 100

Guess it was simply be accident in ActionDave's case.

Some places probably did/do allow the 8/3 for a 50 amp range- the nec is not set in stone when it comes to many ahjs. Perfectly reasonable to see that many would allow such an exception for a dedicated circuit.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Some places probably did/do allow the 8/3 for a 50 amp range- the nec is not set in stone when it comes to many ahjs. Perfectly reasonable to see that many would allow such an exception for a dedicated circuit.

In theory it makes sense as the load is very diverse and transient.

FWIW in Canada 8/3 has been allowed for some time on 50 amp range circuits.

Status
Not open for further replies.