conductors that supply the terminals of the following:

(1) Luminaires
(2) Cord-and-plug-connected loads 1440 volt-amperes,
nominal, or less or less than 1⁄4 hp

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I always thought the limit was 240V till someone on the forum pointed out the limits in the section Jumper posted.

On solar systems you can easily go over 500V in a dwelling.

It is 240v just not for lights, etc. Basically I think you cannot have 240V to the sockets of any fixtures in a residence. Used to be they would allow 240V if you had a mogul base but not sure that was ever code.

Hoggedy

I was asked this question today, and told to find the answer. I believe the solar system answer near 500v is what I am looking for. Would you find this in the solar system article??

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
690.7(C)

(C) Photovoltaic Source and Output Circuits. In oneand
two-family dwellings, PV source circuits and PV output
circuits that do not include lampholders, fixtures, or
receptacles shall be permitted to have a maximum PV system
voltage up to 600 volts. Other installations with a
maximum PV system voltage over 1000 volts shall comply
with Article 690, Part IX.

Hoggedy

Answer

Answer

So if anyone was wondering i found the answer today after spending an hour in the NEC 2011. Under luminares Article 410, there is a specific sections that says there shall be no more than 1000v in a dwelling.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The problem is the question you asked. If it is for lighting then it is one thing- 410 is for lighting and you cannot have 1000v for a lighting circuit in a dwelling. You spent all that time looking and you don't even give us the section number-- not fair...:p

Then you said it was for solar.... the question is open ended and we would need to know exactly what you are looking for.

iwire

Staff member
So if anyone was wondering i found the answer today after spending an hour in the NEC 2011. Under luminares Article 410, there is a specific sections that says there shall be no more than 1000v in a dwelling.

Hold on, that is not a general prohibition or limit, that section applies only to specific types of lighting circuits.

XIV. Special Provisions for Electric-Discharge Lighting Systems of More Than 1000 Volts

410.140 General.

(A) Listing. Electric-discharge lighting systems with an open-circuit voltage exceeding 1000 volts shall be listed and installed in conformance with that listing.

(B) Dwelling Occupancies. Equipment that has an open-circuit voltage exceeding 1000 volts shall not be installed in or on dwelling occupancies.

In plan English it means you cannot install neon lighting in a home as the open circuit voltages for neon are 7,500 to 30,000 volts.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Hold on, that is not a general prohibition or limit, that section applies only to specific types of lighting circuits.

In plan English it means you cannot install neon lighting in a home as the open circuit voltages for neon are 7,500 to 30,000 volts.
An interesting point!
One could probably argue that the popular neon beer signs are not covered since their purpose is not lighting? Then it would come down to the AHJ. :)

iwire

Staff member
An interesting point!
One could probably argue that the popular neon beer signs are not covered since their purpose is not lighting? Then it would come down to the AHJ. :)

I agree those plug in units are possibly outside the scope of 410. I have a Budweiser neon guitar within 10' of me.

I was thinking more of installed neon, a hardwired transformer remote from the neon tubes.

I heard on one forum of a neon tube inside a plastic shower curtain rod. :eek:hmy:

Hoggedy

The problem is the question you asked. If it is for lighting then it is one thing- 410 is for lighting and you cannot have 1000v for a lighting circuit in a dwelling. You spent all that time looking and you don't even give us the section number-- not fair...:p

Then you said it was for solar.... the question is open ended and we would need to know exactly what you are looking for.
I asked for the maximum allowable voltage in a dwelling. Article 410 under special luminares, listso that you shall not be allowed to have more than 1000v.

Status
Not open for further replies.