estimating spread sheets (Residential wiring)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trey120v

Hey guys, I was trying to see if anybody could advise me on how to correctly bid/estimate a job for residential wiring (new construction). I know most electricians charge by the square foot. If that's not the way to do it, what would be the proper way to estimate a job like that? Im in new construction, and I want to get better. I also know of guys making Excel spread sheets to simplify their work, If anyone has any kind of spread sheets they don't mind sharing that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

kenman215

Hey guys, I was trying to see if anybody could advise me on how to correctly bid/estimate a job for residential wiring (new construction). I know most electricians charge by the square foot. If that's not the way to do it, what would be the proper way to estimate a job like that? Im in new construction, and I want to get better. I also know of guys making Excel spread sheets to simplify their work, If anyone has any kind of spread sheets they don't mind sharing that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

If you're not by the square foot, then it is done by the opening. Typically there is a different price for outlets, switches, recessed, paddle fans, etc. Try to find yourself an accurate estimating software program. If not, find yourself a mentor to give you the going rate for your area.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Do a take off, and use your experience for time.
This way you'll already have a pretty good material list right in front of you.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
If anyone has any kind of spread sheets they don't mind sharing that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

Build your own. It is constructive, it builds your confidence in the sheet, and when you screw it up you'll figure out how to fix it. I'm in the process of starting from scratch myself.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Build your own. It is constructive, it builds your confidence in the sheet, and when you screw it up you'll figure out how to fix it. I'm in the process of starting from scratch myself.
I have one I've used for years and it worked fine for me when I was doing the work.
I have handed it out a few times, but it would take a lot of work to know why what does what.

Never did hear back from anyone if it "helped" or they used it as an example of "how not to".

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Do a take off, and use your experience for time.
This way you'll already have a pretty good material list right in front of you.

You can try and estimate what your materials will be then mark it up and add some for a fudge factor. Then questimate you time.

I usually do it by the opening-- the opening includes labor. So I am use $40-$45 per opening for standard switches and receptacles. For kitchens and individual appliance circuit I have another number depending on the appliance. Thus I would have a number for a washer but a larger one for a dryer. Try and guess how much wire you will have to use on those and figure in install and breakers etc. For instance I may have $100 for a washer but 150 for the dryer.

Then there is furnace, service work etc.

sw_ross

Going for an overall average?

Going for an overall average?

When you're estimating by the opening are you making adjustments for a given job based on criteria like distance for home runs to the panel? Or are you going for an overall average for all jobs that will hopefully be profitable for all jobs (some probably more than others!)?

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
When you're estimating by the opening are you making adjustments for a given job based on criteria like distance for home runs to the panel? Or are you going for an overall average for all jobs that will hopefully be profitable for all jobs (some probably more than others!)?
I kept track of the wire in detail for several homes, then divided by the # of openings. At the time it turned out to be about 17'. With various percent of the total for different gauge and number of conductor. 10 & up were figured separately.

kenman215

You count the homerun box as an opening at a different price. For example, if you charged $80 bucks for a dedicated 20A washer outlet, when you priced out a five outlet dining room circuit, it would be $80 for the first and $160 for the 4 ($40/each).

kwired

Electron manager
Wrong that's all we do is pipe, do I guess I triple those prices.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk
You could still do it by the opening, but probably at a different rate per opening.

I myself have always done the material takeoff, priced that with markup then estimated labor and usually throw in some fudge factor for mistakes and or unknowns. I do this for residential as well as non residential work.

iwire

Staff member
Its residential so it is NM.

No one pipes residential. :p

Wrong that's all we do is pipe,

The person that started this thread is from Maryland but anyplace other than Chicago would be the same. About a 0.0001% chance of doing a dwelling unit in pipe.

Real men do

:D

Not exactly true. If you live in most parts of IL everything is done in EMT.

I pay attention to where people are from and am well aware that 1964element lives in the EMT capitol. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.