One line eletric diagram

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been requested to provide a one line electric diagram for a 400amp single phase panel. I do not know where to start with this the sample they gave me is very confusing. Can you direct me to whom I should contact to get assistance with this. Please.

Lady Engineer

I have been requested to provide a one line electric diagram for a 400amp single phase panel. I do not know where to start with this the sample they gave me is very confusing. Can you direct me to whom I should contact to get assistance with this. Please.

I would get an EE or you can find samples on the net. An AHJ will need to know the main size, wire size, grounding, etc. You'll need a seal as well, so you might want to contact a PE. :)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I would get an EE or you can find samples on the net. An AHJ will need to know the main size, wire size, grounding, etc. You'll need a seal as well, so you might want to contact a PE. :)
In many areas the EC does not need a seal for a service that small...we are permitted to do that design.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Hmm..there's stipulations for only residential unless there are repairs or the changes are minor. My SO is an EC and he's limited to residential or certain facilities.
Patricia, that is not the case here, it has more to do with the license classification, in our case it's unlimited.

One thing I find funny is, POCO's typically send their load summary sheets to the EC instead of the design firm. :D

Roger

Lady Engineer

Patricia, that is not the case here, it has more to do with the license classification, in our case it's unlimited.

One thing I find funny is, POCO's typically send their load summary sheets to the EC instead of the design firm. :D

Roger

Hmm...must be stricter here in Jersey. Haven't seen a commercial building that allowed an EC stamp, unless it was the case I said stated before. It's a bulletin per the NJ standards. POCO, yeah...I fill out the forms, and send them to the EC. That's not uncommon, but S&S by EC plan seems unlikely unless it's small or residential. Check NJ DCA, it's stated there.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Hmm...must be stricter here in Jersey. Haven't seen a commercial building that allowed an EC stamp, unless it was the case I said stated before. It's a bulletin per the NJ standards. POCO, yeah...I fill out the forms, and send them to the EC. That's not uncommon, but S&S by EC plan seems unlikely unless it's small or residential. Check NJ DCA, it's stated there.
Ohio allows non-S&S plans for certain projects but mostly limited to repairs, upgrades, or temporary.... and capped at 400A.

Details: http://www.com.ohio.gov/documents/bdcc_ApplicationForSpecialsRevision.pdf

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Illinois permits a contractor to design anything that is "the regular and customary practice of construction contracting". Given that I don't see a lot of stamped drawings it appears that a lot of things are the regular and customary practice of the contractor...or a lot of things are just slipping through the cracks:)

Last edited:

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
It varies. Here in Texas, in Austin every commercial PV system needs a PE stamp but no residential systems need it. In San Antonio residential and small commercial systems don't need it, but large commercial ones do. In some parts of Dallas, all systems, commercial or residential, need stamping.

jeremy.zinkofsky

Here is a pretty simple example.

View attachment 14157
View attachment 14158
You may need to contract an EE if it needs to be stamped.

This drawing is more like a One-Line/Riser Diagram. You don't need to be that detailed. What you need is basically a trace of the circuit that you will be focused on. I have created a quick mock-up for you that should be sufficient. I based it off of the info you gave me but you will most likely need to update it yourself. see attached.

Attachments

• One-Line Diagram.pdf
    100.1 KB · Views: 9

Lady Engineer

Illinois permits a contractor to design anything that is "the regular and customary practice of construction contracting". Given that I don't see a lot of stamped drawings it appears that a lot of things are the regular and customary practice of the contractor...or a lot of things are just slipping through the cracks:)

Met a guy who did his own design and was a very successful EC. However, he had a degree 2 year degree in EET, an EC license, but not a PE. I don't think it's uncommon to see that. He was just limited to certain applications. Then I was introduced to him because he needed help with a few things, since he needed a stamp on bigger projects. I think it works well for certain designs.

The best part, he then became the most important guy in my life after that. Winning! lol :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.