Guarding per 230.62

Status
Not open for further replies.

abcclub

230.62.jpg

This is a photo of a service change. Would 230.62 come into play here for guarding between the unprotected service conductors and the branch circuit conductors?

Pharon

Guarding only comes into play if it's not enclosed. That, to me, looks like it's enclosed. I don't see any separation requirements in that section for service vs. branch circuit wiring.

jumper

230.62 has to do with guarding live parts, ie lugs, bus bars, etc, all those are guarded or enclosed in your disco. While unfused service conductors cannot share a raceway with a branch circuit, they can both be in an enclosure.

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
unfamiliar installaton

unfamiliar installaton

I am not familiar with this installation i.e. meter service panel combination.

First, there are extensions from the main breaker to the bus bars. Is this a modification? Why is the bus bar not directly connected to the main breaker bolts?

Second, several NM cables enter together through the knockout at the top of the panel. Is this typical since they are not secured?

Third, the 12/3 romex on right side of panel is within a conduit that is installed outdoors (wet location)?

iwire

Staff member
I am not familiar with this installation i.e. meter service panel combination.

First, there are extensions from the main breaker to the bus bars. Is this a modification? Why is the bus bar not directly connected to the main breaker bolts?

Factory and typical not an issue.

Second, several NM cables enter together through the knockout at the top of the panel. Is this typical since they are not secured?

Likely a violation, would need more detail.

Third, the 12/3 romex on right side of panel is within a conduit that is installed outdoors (wet location)?

Violation.

Status
Not open for further replies.