wire tracers which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tataco84

i found a couple threads on here that gave me a little info.. but none exactly answering what i needed.. I'm looking for a tracer to follow wires in the walls, find circuit breakers for circuits, find shorts, etc.. i was mainly looking at the ideal 61-959 and the amprobe at-7030. which do you guys like? another thing i was hoping to do was trace underground wires.. not sure if either of these do that as i don't see it listed in their description, but that doesn't mean it won't work in certain instances. Thanks guys !

tataco84

yeah i saw that model she's a nice, but i don't do much underground so i wouldn't need something of that caliber yet

Martin B

I use the older version of the ideal 61-959 but I think it's basically the same. Works wonderfully when the batteries are strong.

I don't think that the Ideal 61-959 will meet your expectations when trying to fined wire behind drywall unless your looking for romex maybe.

I'm not aware of any tracers that can do both, trace wires inside And outside underground. I guess what I'm trying to say is you may need to buy two different tracers. The one I use to use for underground wire was called a "wire hog". It was more of an irrigation application tool and didn't give me depth but it was cheep and once I got used to it I liked it.

RobertKLR

I use an older Amprobe Pasar model P26. It has never failed to find what I was looking for, even underground. I have a newer Ideal 61-959 that performs well but it still can't match the older Amprobe. My Greenlee Power Finder can't find anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.