0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by meternerd View Post
    Just a comment.....12KV overhead primary is not insulated, so if he got into the primary, it meant mucho smoke!. Service drops will be insulated, but never depend on insulation to keep you alive. Look up, then look up again in case you missed something! Had a TV crew raise an antenna into 12KV. Nobody killed but the TV truck ignited and was a total loss. Just outside the substation, so fault current was significant!
    That is not entirely a true statement. While Hendrix cable is technically "covered" and not "insulated", it is available up to 46 kV. And, in general, it will prevent shocks and arcs when hit with incidental object contact. In fact, I have great pictures of a piece of Hendrix cable laying on a grounded metal "C" bracket for years with no arcing. After about 6 calls, the PoCo finally lifted it back up onto the chili bowl and tied it back in place.

Mark

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drcampbell View Post
    Ive seen that picture before. Utterly amazing. That was an expensive mistake. That excavator weighs a lot more than 8 tons though, looks more like a 30 ton class to me.
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadfly56 View Post
    ...when I have a contractor do work at my house, I ask to be listed as an additional named insured on their policy.
    Absolutely! Otherwise, YOU become the employer and have to cover anything their policy doesn't. AND, it proves that they have liability insurance to begin with.