Panel on stairway landing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The residential building code says inside or outside-- not sure about now residential

STAIR. A change in elevation, consisting of one or more risers.

STAIRWAY. One or more flights of stairs, either interior orexterior, with the necessary landings and platforms connectingthem to form a continuous and uninterrupted passage from onelevel to another within or attached to a building, porch or deck

mwm1752

George I took the liberty to post the pic as it is a interesting question. When does a step become a step-- hold long/wide/etc. View this larger with your browser to see details better. BTW, I can see Ryans response but without knowing the depth of the (step) I may challenge 110.26 but I suspect it is 36" or greater

ry%3D400

Iwire - Are you implying a platform need not meet clear space width & depth?

iwire

Staff member

I have not commented on that issue at all, yet.

My comments where only about code section 240.24(F) and how it relates to the picture Dennis posted for us here. https://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=174325&p=1706764#post1706764

240.24(F) Not Located over Steps. Overcurrent devices shall not be located over steps of a stairway.

Now as far as 110.26 what specific section would you cite?

kenman215

But by that definition, wouldn't a landing be considered part of the stairway, thus making a panel mounted over a stair landing a violation, regardless of whether or not space requirements are met?

Nevermind, I didn't start at the beginning of the post where the code was quoted. Sorry.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

mwm1752

I cannot be sure but if those psot are 6x6 then the depth from the building out is maybe 20" -- the depth measured is infront of the panel which if my assumptions are somewhat correct is about 12" for the walkway disconnects. IMHO that is a step not a landing.
The far left disconnect working space appears compliant.

Call it a step if you want but as worded it only applies to stairway steps.

It is not a stairway so it does not apply. :cool:

I don't think that is what he is saying. He is saying that the area is not a stairway

I have not commented on that issue at all, yet.

My comments where only about code section 240.24(F) and how it relates to the picture Dennis posted for us here. https://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=174325&p=1706764#post1706764

Now as far as 110.26 what specific section would you cite?

The image was posted does not represent a stairway so 240.24(F) & OP ? is not applicable agree -- my comments were based toward compliance/non compliance within the NEC -- the image shows encroachment of a step/stair into the clearances is obvious -- comment made on over steps only applicable for stairway - a single step is not a stairway(see 1st sentence) -- hence with regard to the image 110.26(A)(3) refers to platform -- Is the encroaching step/stair in the image compliant with 110.26?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
recently we had 100A circuit breaker installed in staircase. contactor advised us that inspector told him that c.b. should be in 2 hours rated enclosure. now I have doubts.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
If it's in a commercial application the inspector is probably correct. Though only one hour is required for and exit stair well, but it could be two hour rated. Just because the contractor doesn't know doesn't mean the inspector doesn't, he may have been the one that originally inspected it.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I was going to ask about the same thing, how many steps needed before we have a stairway?
Even if it's not a step, I would still say that it infringes on your 3'. And just for clarification, a stair is a stair and a landing is a landing and there are definitions for both. When in doubt always look at the definitions and not necessarily the ones in the code book, the dictionary can be used and I believe that the one to use is talked about in the building code.

iwire

Staff member
Even if it's not a step, I would still say that it infringes on your 3'. And just for clarification, a stair is a stair and a landing is a landing and there are definitions for both. When in doubt always look at the definitions and not necessarily the ones in the code book, the dictionary can be used and I believe that the one to use is talked about in the building code.

John, what specific code language do you see applying here?

In my opinion if that platform is a violation so are most concrete house keeping pads are.

Also if 110.26 was a factor there was no need for the fairly recent stairway rule in 240.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
John, what specific code language do you see applying here?

In my opinion if that platform is a violation so are most concrete house keeping pads are.

Also if 110.26 was a factor there was no need for the fairly recent stairway rule in 240.

110.26(E)(2) ....No architectural appurtenance or other equipment shall be located in this zone. And yes I believe that most house keeping pads are.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.