Article 680.26 (B) Equipotential Bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.
This article requires that all parts specified in 680.26(B)(1) thru (B)(7) be bonded together using solid #8 awg conductors. This Article also states that this #8 solid awg conductor is not required to be extended or attached to remote panelboards, service equipment, or electrodes.

Does this mean that the parts specified in 680.26(B)(1) through (B)(7) are not required to have a low impedence return ground fault path back to the power source?

if so what is the purpose of bonding these parts together?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The purpose of bonding all of these components together is to greatly reduce the chance of electrical shock when touching several components or the earth at the same time.
If the whole conglomeration is raised to a uniform high voltage (from lack of a return path?) it will still not present a shock hazard to people around or in the pool.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Article 680.26(A) states it very well. Basically if there is any stray voltage in the ground from utility or some other source then the bond keeps all the pool equipment at the same potential. If everything has "x" voltage on it then you will not feel the voltage even though it is present. Think of a bird standing on a hot wire suspended in air.

680.26 Equipotential Bonding.
(A) Performance. The equipotential bonding required by
this section shall be installed to reduce voltage gradients in
the pool area.

Thank you for your replies

Also

could ther be an issue if the parts in 680.26(B) (1) thru (7) that are bonded together, were connected to an established return fault path?

Zane

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
No issue.
In most all cases the equipotential bond will have a connection to the equipment grounding thru the pool pump or underwater lighting.

thanks for your reply. unit is a Permanently Installed Therapuetic Pool. Parts 1,2 and 6 apply.

There is no lighting. The EOR beleives that the Equipotential bonding conductor does not need to be connected to the circulation pump motors.

3rd Pty testing revealed that there is no connection between the premise grounding system and the Equipotential bonding loop.

I believe these motors are required to be connected to the loop?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
thanks for your reply. unit is a Permanently Installed Therapuetic Pool. Parts 1,2 and 6 apply.

There is no lighting. The EOR beleives that the Equipotential bonding conductor does not need to be connected to the circulation pump motors.

3rd Pty testing revealed that there is no connection between the premise grounding system and the Equipotential bonding loop.

I believe these motors are required to be connected to the loop?

I think the Code supports your belief. 680.61 requires compliance with Part II which includes 680.26 on Equip. Potential Bonding including pumps.

david

Thank you for your replies

Also

could ther be an issue if the parts in 680.26(B) (1) thru (7) that are bonded together, were connected to an established return fault path?

Zane

An equipment ground connection to the equal potential bonding is not inadvertent.

The bonding is required to be connected to one of the equipment grounds of at least one of the branch circuits supplying pool equipment

1haz

the #8 bond has to go from the rebar in the pool to every piece of equipment on the pool continuously. The circuit from the main service to pool panel will be part of the same ground once you run a whip from the pool panel to the equipment and connect to the ground on the pumps, heater etc. But what about a fiberglass inground pool? There isn't any steel in the pool shell.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
the #8 bond has to go from the rebar in the pool to every piece of equipment on the pool continuously. The circuit from the main service to pool panel will be part of the same ground once you run a whip from the pool panel to the equipment and connect to the ground on the pumps, heater etc. But what about a fiberglass inground pool? There isn't any steel in the pool shell.
The shell itself being fiberglass poses no danger. The Code still requires perimeter bonding, associated equipment bonding and water bonding

david

what do you attach the perimeter bond to? No steel, no hand rails or any other metal objects.

680.26 Equipotential Bonding. (B) Bonded Parts.
(6) Electrical Equipment.

(a) "Double-Insulated Water Pump Motors. Where there is no connection between the swimming pool bonding grid and the equipment grounding system for the premises, this bonding conductor shall be connected to the equipment grounding conductor of the motor circuit."

(C) Pool Water. An intentional bond of a minimum conductive surface area of 5806 mm2 (9 in.2) shall be installed in contact with the pool water. This bond shall be permitted to consist of parts that are required to be bonded in 680.26(B).

david

A metal plate in the skimmer, or change a plastic fitting under the skimmer to a brass fitting and bond to that.

Attachments

• 20150526_121738.jpg
    20150526_121738.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
what do you attach the perimeter bond to? No steel, no hand rails or any other metal objects.

If there is nothing in the pool that needs bonding, either the shell, ladders, rails, etc. you still run the perimeter #8 around the pool and back to the pump. The water has to be bonded if there is nothing in the pool that is metal and meets the 9sq in. rule.

This is how I did a few pools for the water bond. There is a piece that goes in the plumbing line that you bond to. On above ground pools you can use the type for the skimmer that was mentioned.

I think the Code supports your belief. 680.61 requires compliance with Part II which includes 680.26 on Equip. Potential Bonding including pumps.

Thank you for your reply. I think the intent of the code is that the Equipotential ground loop be at equal potential with the premise equipment grounding system through several of the branch circuit equipment grounding conductors listed in 680.26(B)(1)thru(7).

680 Code intent

680 Code intent

Thank you for your reply. I think the intent of the code is that the Equipotential ground loop be established at equal potential with the premise equipment grounding system through several of the branch circuit equipment grounding conductors listed in 680.26(B)(1)thru(7). once these connections are established, then the loop will be at equal potential with the premise equipment grounding system. because of these connections (Equipotential bonding grid and premise equipment grounding system now connected together and at equal potential) 680.26 does not require the solid #8 to be extended and connected to remote panelboards, service equipment or electrodes.

I do not believe that the intent of this code would ever be to leave the two locations i.e. Premise Equipment Grounding System and Equipotential ground loop with a difference in potential for this would leave the installation vulnerable to injury of shock or fatality if the user came in contact with energized Equipotential ground loop parts and the Premise Equipment grounding system.

680. Code intent

680. Code intent

680.26 Equipotential Bonding. (B) Bonded Parts.
(6) Electrical Equipment.

(a) "Double-Insulated Water Pump Motors. Where there is no connection between the swimming pool bonding grid and the equipment grounding system for the premises, this bonding conductor shall be connected to the equipment grounding conductor of the motor circuit."

(C) Pool Water. An intentional bond of a minimum conductive surface area of 5806 mm2 (9 in.2) shall be installed in contact with the pool water. This bond shall be permitted to consist of parts that are required to be bonded in 680.26(B).

Thank you very much for your reply I agree.

Thank you for your reply. I think the intent of the code is that the Equipotential ground loop be established at equal potential with the premise equipment grounding system through several of the branch circuit equipment grounding conductors listed in 680.26(B)(1)thru(7). once these connections are established, then the loop will be at equal potential with the premise equipment grounding system. because of these connections (Equipotential bonding grid and premise equipment grounding system now connected together and at equal potential) 680.26 does not require the solid #8 to be extended and connected to remote panelboards, service equipment or electrodes.

I do not believe that the intent of this code would ever be to leave the two locations i.e. Premise Equipment Grounding System and Equipotential ground loop with a difference in potential for this would leave the installation vulnerable injury of shock or fatality if the user came in contact with energized Equipotential ground loop parts and the Premise Equipment grounding system.

Status
Not open for further replies.