User Tag List

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12

Thread: No primary protection required?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After reading back through all the posts, I am convinced the second OCPD/Disconnecting means is required for the second transformer. The NEC is a prescriptive code and it says what it means.

Many thanks to all involved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaiah View Post
    After reading back through all the posts, I am convinced the second OCPD/Disconnecting means is required for the second transformer. The NEC is a prescriptive code and it says what it means.

Many thanks to all involved.
    What did you find that convinces you? If the second transformer is at a separate building or structure you need a disconnect for the second building or structure, but if in the same building I don't find anything that would require additional protection. Yes that transformer needs protection, but if the supply to it is already protected to the proper level, nothing says you must provide additional protection.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    What did you find that convinces you? If the second transformer is at a separate building or structure you need a disconnect for the second building or structure, but if in the same building I don't find anything that would require additional protection. Yes that transformer needs protection, but if the supply to it is already protected to the proper level, nothing says you must provide additional protection.
    The OP stated transformers are over 1700 feet apart, so how could they be in the same building?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale001289 View Post
    The OP stated transformers are over 1700 feet apart, so how could they be in the same building?
    1700 feet is not un unimaginable distance in the some buildings.

JAP>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are in fact, two separate buildings involved. Both are prefabricated substations. The cables are routed mostly outdoors between buildings/transformers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaiah View Post
    There are in fact, two separate buildings involved. Both are prefabricated substations. The cables are routed mostly outdoors between buildings/transformers.
    Recently the nec has made a distinction between "structure " and "equipment". I don't think the structure disconnect requirements would apply to an outdoor transformer with that in mind. Of course if you are providing transformer primary protection, it's a moot point
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Secondary OCP at the 1st Xformer.

Would the secondary OCP of the first transformer suffice for the primary OCP for the 2nd one?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skokian View Post
    Would the secondary OCP of the first transformer suffice for the primary OCP for the 2nd one?
    It can. Such device is often protecting the supplying secondary as well as downstream circuit conductors, or anything else connected to said conductors.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.