CCTV suppliers that don't bs you and know what they're talking about

Status
Not open for further replies.

ike5547

Occupation
Electrician
I should double check the SSD situation and maybe call Dell to see if I came get that incorporated. An SSD sounds like a great idea for the OS.

nhfire77

Going with Milestone. The "entry level" package from Dell didn't offer SSD's as an option. I did, actually, select an additional NIC card with the one that comes with the package. I've also spec'd a number of managed gigabit switches to improve their existing network and handle the cameras and Milestone client software to workstations. I'm segmenting out the CCTV network infrastructure from the rest of the network. All the switches have IGMP support.

I selected one 180 watt, 10/100 24 port, POE+ switch with two gigabit uplinks to start us of with some cameras. The uplinks are mini-gbic slots.

I'm hearing from them now that they are going to want a lot more cameras than I initially thought.

Yes if at all possible do not mix cameras on the network. Even on Gbit- VLan is ok but physical separation is imperative if you are talking about 50+Mbps. If there is VOIP on the network the cameras need to be separated unless you have all very high quality switches.

nhfire77

I should double check the SSD situation and maybe call Dell to see if I came get that incorporated. An SSD sounds like a great idea for the OS.

I use ssd minicards (msata) on the motherboard for the highest possible reliability. Also do not store anything else on it. Limit its use to the OS- don't run any other programs off it if you will have simultaneous remote clients.

ike5547

Occupation
Electrician
You think I could go with Windows 10 and downgrade the processor to an i7 or less? AVADIRECT seems way more flexible than Dell. Save $400 and get a 240GB SSD.

nhfire77

You think I could go with Windows 10 and downgrade the processor to an i7 or less? AVADIRECT seems way more flexible than Dell. Save $400 and get a 240GB SSD.

I use i5 for most servers with less than 32 cameras running exacqvision and milestone no issues. The price has come down for some i7's, compare costs.

I'm not a fan of W10. Ensure the software is compatible not just in Beta before using it.

The dell SSD's are $ but if you are buying a warranty and relying on it they're worth it. They aren't a brand name drive just oem. Frankly I'm fine with any brand ssd. If it's 240gb is probably a Samsung and it's generally reliable. You don't need more than 120gb because only the OS is on it, but it's not a big difference.

ike5547

Occupation
Electrician
Everybody I've talked to seems to be shying away from windows 10. Including me. It's a free upgrade nobody wants. I've heard a lot of bad stuff about it. It's supposed to be a huge invasion of privacy or something. I've been using Linux for about 10 years now. I've got a windows 7 laptop the I keep in the truck for work related stuff. Other than that it's Linux only. I wish more software developers would port to Linux.

nhfire77

Do you install exacqvision on a Linux platform? What distro?

If you are good with Linux it would be advisable to use. I am not well versed in it and when I do use it, I buy an Exacq server prebuilt from Exacq (its a custom version of Ubuntu). Yes it cost more than you building it, but this gets great support with. There are less potential security issues with it as well

ike5547

Occupation
Electrician
Any recommendations on a RAID box (NAS)? Looking for 8 or more bays, 32TB, something over 1 Gb/s. Prices and reviews are all over the place on these things. I'm a little bit confused on them.

nhfire77

Any recommendations on a RAID box (NAS)? Looking for 8 or more bays, 32TB, something over 1 Gb/s. Prices and reviews are all over the place on these things. I'm a little bit confused on them.

Buffalo terastation (replace the HDD with WD RE for reliability)

Exacq S-series storage servers

Need to go brand name for NAS, IMO. QNAP is a distant 3rd value choice

Is raid really necessary- does the site have disaster recovery critical for Other IT systems?

Last edited:

ike5547

Occupation
Electrician
That one is not a NAS because it doesn't function on the network: you cable it with SATA cables. Not at all sure I would want to do that. Especially with no reviews telling you that it will actually work with your target hardware.

Thanks for the heads up. I think I'm going to run Milestone's free product for a while and decide on final storage options after that. Probably ask them what works best with their system if/when I decide to purchase their VMS. Other than that, I'm ready to start cabling and equipment installation. Thanks for your advice. You've steered me away from a few goof-ups.

ike5547

Occupation
Electrician
Buffalo terastation (replace the HDD with WD RE for reliability)

Exacq S-series storage servers

Need to go brand name for NAS, IMO. QNAP is a distant 3rd value choice

Is raid really necessary- does the site have disaster recovery critical for Other IT systems?

I got you mixed up in my head with "dfmischler" who I thanked for his helpful advice, but I wanted to make sure I thanked you as well and everyone else who had helpful info.

Not sure if raid is absolutely necessary, but id hate to lose critical footage.

Sometimes they don't discover something's amiss until 6 months or more later. Then there was the smooth talking employee, not too long ago, that smashed through the back window (with his accomplice) wearing gloves and black ski masks (caught, miraculously, but not identified, on a busted up junk analog surveillance system). With the remotely monitored security alarm blaring they managed to make off with three unbolted floor safes in under ten minutes (all safes are now bolted down). It took three weeks, a 500 dollar bribe to his girlfriend and a search warrant at a public storage facility in another town to nab him. Not that a better video system would have ID'd him, but . . .

nhfire77

Your welcome. If you explain the benefits of RAID and they'll pay, put it in.

If you need to store 6 months of video, you will need many large capacity RAID/NAS servers with a unified controller. That calls for tightly controlled motion on recording at a lower quality image and maybe resolution. It's nifty to do but would easily triple/quadruple the costs

Status
Not open for further replies.