Mobile home feeder cable in 200' conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
It might be of some consequence to note that 550.32 requires the mobile home service equipment to be located not more than 30 ft from the mobile home. Your install may be 200' total but keep 550.32 in mind.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I may be wrong but I think OP may have wrote "cable" on accident. This is what is commonly used. Individual conductors with an insulated EGC.

http://www.southwire.com/ProductCatalog/XTEInterfaceServlet?contentKey=prodcatsheet15
That product, consisting of "quadruplexed" individual wires is called a cable farther down in the description. I think that the NEC would consider it to be a cable without an overall sheath rather than individual wires.
The same set of conductors twisted in the field off individual spools might still be considered just wires and not a cable.
An interesting point though, in that it is not identified as an NEC recognized cable type, and so its approval for the use would be based directly on the wire types (and marking).

jumper

That product, consisting of "quadruplexed" individual wires is called a cable farther down in the description. I think that the NEC would consider it to be a cable without an overall sheath rather than individual wires.
The same set of conductors twisted in the field off individual spools might still be considered just wires and not a cable.
An interesting point though, in that it is not identified as an NEC recognized cable type, and so its approval for the use would be based directly on the wire types (and marking).

I'm getting a headache.:D

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired

Ravenvalor

My apologies for not providing a better explanation in the original post.

I am thinking about feeding a detached residential shop. I would prefer to use thwn in raceway however I have to run the circuit through a 10' long 3" sleeve under a driveway. The sleeve is plumbing pvc with a plumbing 90 on each end. I am probably going to directly bury the quadplex in the ground and pay $130 for a load of 6 - yards of rock free fill dirt. There are so many rocks in this area that could easily damage direct burial cable.

Thanks.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician

I am thinking about feeding a detached residential shop. I would prefer to use thwn in raceway however I have to run the circuit through a 10' long 3" sleeve under a driveway. The sleeve is plumbing pvc with a plumbing 90 on each end. I am probably going to directly bury the quadplex in the ground and pay $130 for a load of 6 - yards of rock free fill dirt. There are so many rocks in this area that could easily damage direct burial cable.

Thanks.
I would use 2-2-4-6 MH feeder without hesitation. You can fit it in 1 1/4" pvc which would fit through your 3'' plumbing pipe sleeve if you get rid of the nineties and give you conduit the whole way.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired

Thanks.
Gophers would love that nice rock free dirt around here, Plus something to chew on.

Not sure why you want the 90s unless you are thinking of raising the raceway while under the slab. We would have to but it down to 24" anyway so no reason for 90s. Don't forget the plastic bushings.

Ravenvalor

Gophers would love that nice rock free dirt around here, Plus something to chew on.

Not sure why you want the 90s unless you are thinking of raising the raceway while under the slab. We would have to but it down to 24" anyway so no reason for 90s. Don't forget the plastic bushings.

The 2 - 3" plumbing 90s are at each end of the sleeve. One of them can be removed easily. The other one is embedded in conduit which I am not opposed to removing.

Thanks.

Ravenvalor

I would use 2-2-4-6 MH feeder without hesitation. You can fit it in 1 1/4" pvc which would fit through your 3'' plumbing pipe sleeve if you get rid of the nineties and give you conduit the whole way.

I will propose busting out the 90s and installing pvc raceway the entire way. I think in this situation I would use THWN instead of MH feeder.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.