extension cords

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grouch1980

I believe Bob (iwire) is referring to the passages in the Certifications Directory from UL, commonly known as the White Book. "Power strips" are termed "Relocatable Power Taps". This is part of the 2015 / 16 section for them:

Al,
I think this statement from the White Book pretty much nails it (from the excerpt you sent)...

"Relocatable power taps are not intended to be permanently secured to building structures, tables, work benches or similar structures, nor are they intended to be used as a substitute for fixed wiring. The cords of relocatable power taps are not intended to be routed through walls, windows, ceilings, floors or similar openings of buildings."

This to me is saying you can't use power strips (relocatable power taps) at desks. The intent of the client is to use them as permanent fixtures, which is against what the White Book is saying.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
It is not a NEC violation as for practical purposes the NEC stops at the receptacle.
I hope that you would agree that the prohibition on using flexible cord as a substitute for fixed building wiring is legitimately part of the scope of the NEC, even if that flexible cord assembly is plugged into an approved receptacle outlet.
Or would you consider that to be an ill-advised venture into design?

dfmischler

Occupation
Facilities Manager
This to me is saying you can't use power strips (relocatable power taps) at desks. The intent of the client is to use them as permanent fixtures, which is against what the White Book is saying.

I don't read it that way. To me, it says that it is a violation to permanently fasten the power strip to the wall, floor, or desk. IMO, to plug a surge suppressor strip into the wall outlet and plug the computer and monitor into it does not violate this rule (as long as you haven't screwed the thing down, or run the cord where it shouldn't be).

On the other hand, the school where my wife teaches sees it your way, and therefore has replaced all classroom outlets with TVSS outlets (example) so no surge suppressor strips are needed (at much higher cost, I might add).

Last edited:

Grouch1980

I don't read it that way. To me, it says that it is a violation to permanently fasten the power strip to the wall, floor, or desk. IMO, to plug a surge suppressor strip into the wall outlet and plug the computer and monitor into it does not violate this rule (as long as you haven't screwed the thing down, or run the cord where it shouldn't be).

On the other hand, the school where my wife teaches sees it your way, and therefore has replaced all classroom outlets with TVS outlets so no surge suppressor strips are needed (at much higher cost, I might add).

However, the excerpt also says "nor are they intended to be used as a substitute for fixed wiring." by using a power strip in this fashion, it would seem like you are using it as a substitute for fixed wiring.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
However, the excerpt also says "nor are they intended to be used as a substitute for fixed wiring." by using a power strip in this fashion, it would seem like you are using it as a substitute for fixed wiring.
To the contrary, I assert that this is is not fixed but relocatable, allowing one tap with TVS to be used in conjunction with a single receptacle outlet in the classroom, with that location changing with the arrangement of desks and tables inside the classroom.
I consider your argument more viable in the case of a lab or lecture hall with fixed built-in furniture.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
This is a real difficult stance to take, and would lead to hard wiring things like desk lamps and pencil sharpeners and computers.

I agree with GoldDigger. The key is in "relocatable".

Grouch1980

This is a real difficult stance to take, and would lead to hard wiring things like desk lamps and pencil sharpeners and computers.

I agree with GoldDigger. The key is in "relocatable".

so where in the UL Certification Directory for relocatable power taps does it prohibit using power strips? i am lost.:blink:

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Grouch,

There is more than you could want to know about the difference between "flexible cord" and "extension cords and power supply cords" over at this thread.

Again, "power strips" is colloquial English for the UL name, which is "relocatable power taps".

That is: power strip = relocatable power tap.

Grouch1980

Grouch,

There is more than you could want to know about the difference between "flexible cord" and "extension cords and power supply cords" over at this thread.

Again, "power strips" is colloquial English for the UL name, which is "relocatable power taps".

That is: power strip = relocatable power tap.

That part i understand... it is in the excerpt from the White book however that i do not see where it prohibits the use of power strips / relocatable power taps at a desk.

al hildenbrand

Occupation

it is in the excerpt from the White book however that i do not see where it prohibits the use of power strips / relocatable power taps at a desk.

I'm saying that the line that a relocatable power tap is "intended" to be directly plugged into an Outlet is the permission to USE the tap at a desk, not to not use it.

iwire

Staff member
That part i understand... it is in the excerpt from the White book however that i do not see where it prohibits the use of power strips / relocatable power taps at a desk.

You can use a relocatable power tap at a desk, however you can't secure it to the desk and you can't use an extension cord to supply it.

iwire

Staff member
If the item comes with 'installation instructions', that pretty much means it's meant to be installed.

But if it doesn't, I would tend to side with the group that feels merely plugging something in isn't the same as installing it, as far as the code goes.

I am pretty sure if an item is listed it has instructions somewhere.

Grouch1980

You can use a relocatable power tap at a desk, however you can't secure it to the desk and you can't use an extension cord to supply it.

alright, i'm following now... sorry, long week. and we still have Friday left.

From what i'm understanding, you CAN use power strips (relocatable power taps) at your desk, which comes with an attached power supply cord and attachment plug. It's just that the power strip cannot be permanently secured to the desk or work bench, AND cannot be connected to the wall outlet using an additional extension cord. do i have it right?

al hildenbrand

Occupation
alright, i'm following now... sorry, long week. and we still have Friday left.

From what i'm understanding, you CAN use power strips (relocatable power taps) at your desk, which comes with an attached power supply cord and attachment plug. It's just that the power strip cannot be permanently secured to the desk or work bench, AND cannot be connected to the wall outlet using an additional extension cord. do i have it right?
Yes. (and one other possible hookup is prohibited: a power strip plugged into a power strip is forbidden.)

iwire

Staff member
But they could either be instructions for use or instructions for installation. :)

OK, do you install a iron or do you use it?

The NFPA seems to think the NEC applies to them.

422.45 Stands for Cord-and-Plug-Connected Appliances.
Each smoothing iron and other cord-and-plug-connected electrically
heated appliance intended to be applied to combustible
material shall be equipped with an approved stand, which
shall be permitted to be a separate piece of equipment or a part
of the appliance.

422.46 Flatirons. Electrically heated smoothing irons shall
be equipped with an identified temperature-limiting means.
\

Nothing is black and white about where the code stops.

Now I expect Don to come by and say those sections should not be in the NEC and he may well be right.

But the fact is there are NEC sections both old and new that go beyond the outlet and have been adopted so to me it really does not matter if they should be in the NEC, they are in the NEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.