Service van outlet and switch storage ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricblue

Occupation
EC
Stupid question I guess? I can't come up with a good way to keep from ruining outlets and switches in our service vans. They rattle around fall out the boxes and get scratched up. My next step is carpeting that shelf. Anyone got the great idea for me?:)

JFletcher

something like this or this.

Can also use one or two compartment trays for things you'd typically need for switch/receptacle replacement, like cover plates, longer screws, box extenders/spacers, f-clips, wagos, wirenuts, buchannon crimps, pigtails, etc.

eta: you could also get cheapie sandwich bags to put devices in. Takes a moment but easier to see what you have than look at the end of a box for that 20A WR GFCI in black...

Last edited:

JoeyD74

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I have a spot on my shelf and keep them in the boxes they came in. I haven't found anything better yet, but always looking. Even then if they are there to long they get nasty.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I bought some plastic drawers that just fit in my van shelves. I mark each drawer with what they contain such as "SP switch white". I too keep the devices in the box they come in. As the items get used you can stuff in some bubble wrap or other packing material to keep them from sliding around.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
I keep them in the small canvas pouches by Klein. One type per pouch with the contents written in Sharpie on the outside. Get about 10-15 per pouch and can't remember every having one damaged.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.