User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bump Caps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bump Caps

The company I work for requires hard hats in plant environments, commercial sites and when overhead work is being done on residential projects.
    They are now discussing requiring bump caps in attics. I don't like the idea, but then again, I don't like hats or crap touching my head. (Yes, I wear my hard hat.)

Do any of you have that requirement where you work?
    If you do, what brands are the most comfortable or well received?

If you don't, why not?

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have banged my head into nails poking through roof decks several times. Each time I wished I was wearing a hard hat. (I wasn't.) Luckily, I always keep my tetanus vaccinations up-to-date.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve seen bump caps provided at factory visits. Only time I’ve seen - always hard hats otherwise. I liked the bump caps. Better since they have a lower profile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you bump you're head twice on a nail. It hurts so much, you won't do it again. At least I haven't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Parrish View Post
    If you bump you're head twice on a nail. It hurts so much, you won't do it again. At least I haven't.
    This. In the HVAC biz, I work in attics everyday. I keep my head down.

The most pain I've ever had for my head in construction areas is BECAUSE of wearing a hard hat and sticking my head into my truck window. My head now being two inches taller, I hit the top of the window with the hard hat and gave myself a severe whiplash. I've done that at least twice.

Wearing a hard hat is GREAT when conditions dictate. Wearing one JUST BECAUSE it's required on one side of a fence is retarded. But insurance companies run the world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the insurance companies dictate so much within the business world now that there are actually systems in place that cost employees money to work in England... You actually have to pay to have a job... take for instance being an electrician... you must have a safety card that proves you understand how to work safely with electricity and a safety card that proves you understand how safety works on a construction or commercial site, and if you work on railway sites, a safety site card for them stating you understand the hazards of working along railways areas. Then you need rated on your safety cards for using power tools, and ladders and working in holes etc...
    You want to use one of those movable hoists to get up and down on because you would be on the ladder too long? It takes a special training and card that needs redone every two years. Need a forklift sometimes? Each style forklift is different training and only good for two years. What about a scissorlift instead? that is different training as well..
    This in a country where you can get a license when you are 18 to drive cars and not have to renew it again until you are ninety. You can get a truck driving license and not need to renew it if it was gotten before a certain year... in fact, if you were licensed before a certain year for cars, you can drive trucks and motorcycles with no extra licensing or tests... But if you work, you gotta pay to work...
    Student of electrical codes. Please Take others advice first.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamjamma View Post
    the insurance companies dictate so much within the business world now that there are actually systems in place that cost employees money to work in England... You actually have to pay to have a job... take for instance being an electrician... you must have a safety card that proves you understand how to work safely with electricity and a safety card that proves you understand how safety works on a construction or commercial site, and if you work on railway sites, a safety site card for them stating you understand the hazards of working along railways areas. Then you need rated on your safety cards for using power tools, and ladders and working in holes etc...
    You want to use one of those movable hoists to get up and down on because you would be on the ladder too long? It takes a special training and card that needs redone every two years. Need a forklift sometimes? Each style forklift is different training and only good for two years. What about a scissorlift instead? that is different training as well..
    This in a country where you can get a license when you are 18 to drive cars and not have to renew it again until you are ninety. You can get a truck driving license and not need to renew it if it was gotten before a certain year... in fact, if you were licensed before a certain year for cars, you can drive trucks and motorcycles with no extra licensing or tests... But if you work, you gotta pay to work...
    Joke-
    Yes, but you get all that free stuff, health care, low taxes, have a king / queen, parliament, bangers and mash, eh wot govna!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a good bangers and mash is ok, and a good beer based fish and chips cannot be beat... you have no idea just how bad Arthur Treachers is until you have had a british fish and chips..but they can keep their eel pie
    Student of electrical codes. Please Take others advice first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chamuit View Post
    The company I work for requires hard hats in plant environments, commercial sites and when overhead work is being done on residential projects.
    They are now discussing requiring bump caps in attics. I don't like the idea, but then again, I don't like hats or crap touching my head. (Yes, I wear my hard hat.)

Do any of you have that requirement where you work?
    If you do, what brands are the most comfortable or well received?

If you don't, why not?

Thanks.
    No.

I assume it's because we let common sense and our company policies be our guide for safety rather than what an insurance company says "is safest"(i.e. cheapest for them).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Macmike alway say: Attic good place for hardhat . Or turban. Or stay out of.....
    85deg. an Sunny today.