Wire through type SPD

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Occupation
Power Systems Engineer
Situation: new flat screen tv, new extension to circuit added. No space behind tv for old style isobar type protection.

yes, leviton makes surge outlets, but I'd rather keep the surge protection elsewhere.

it does not appear that the leviton type surge outlets have a protected load side terminals to wire to.

i guess one could make the romex into a male 5-15 and plug it through a type 3 SPD, but that's not allowed. ;)

really what I'm looking for is something analogous to a blank face gfci, where it gets wired in and whatever is downstream of that is protected.

Any ideas?

thanks!

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
Situation: new flat screen tv, new extension to circuit added. No space behind tv for old style isobar type protection.

yes, leviton makes surge outlets, but I'd rather keep the surge protection elsewhere.

it does not appear that the leviton type surge outlets have a protected load side terminals to wire to.

i guess one could make the romex into a male 5-15 and plug it through a type 3 SPD, but that's not allowed. ;)

really what I'm looking for is something analogous to a blank face gfci, where it gets wired in and whatever is downstream of that is protected.

Any ideas?

thanks!

You can buy them, but you're not gonna like the price. And you have to put it in an enclosure too.

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc...-z-_RF_Filters_w-z-Surge_Protection/ADPH12015

Just add a whole-panel SPD. Are there two adjacent spaces open in the panel? Can you make two available with slimline breakers? That way, the entire panel is protected.

SceneryDriver

Martin B

Just an idea. You could maybe use a "Arlington Industries TVBS505 2 Gang White". It's a recessed two gang box so you could put regular surge protective outlets next to each other. The only prob would be that the T.V. would cover them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.