pvc

Status
Not open for further replies.

enireh

is it ok to use plumbing pvc for an electrical installation? is it against the code? seems to me plumbing pvc is more durable due to the testing done

JFletcher

is it ok to use plumbing pvc for an electrical installation? is it against the code? seems to me plumbing pvc is more durable due to the testing done

Plumbing PVC is not listed for the purpose nor under Article 352. That said, plumbing PVC is run under driveways and the like here as a chase and I've never seen it failed; ymmv.

iwire

Staff member

As Peter said, as a sleeve for a cable sure, as a raceway no.

352.6 Listing Requirements. PVC conduit, factory elbows, and associated fittings shall be listed.

One of the differences is conduits flame resistance requirements.

Besides, it would look hack.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
That may be true, I'll check it out in person if I get the chance. It doesn't look much different than solid pvc. Without close close inspection it's hard to spot the difference.
Foam core may look the same, but it is rated for DWV (Drain, Waste and Vent) use only.
It cannot be used for pressurized applications.

And if used for electrical sleeving it is much more susceptible to damage from pulling. It is also not as strong withstanding crushing forces when buried.
AFAIK it is not available in Schedule 80 sizes.

kwired

Electron manager
I have seen Ken mention that as well but I have never seen it in this area.
If you don't do much residential work you probably do not run into it much. It is usually marked "cellular core" and is lighter weight then regular sch40 PVC.

It is usually only used in larger sizes as well. As mentioned it is only rated DWV and not for pressure applications.

If you look at a cut end it has high density PVC inner and outer walls but low density material between them with a sort of foam look to it.

mwm1752

Certainly DWV rated Plastic is not listed for use as electrical apparatus -- but say if the install was UF cable > 30a & 120v and it was buried as a sleeve 12" deep to get under a walkway would it matter? Not that I recommend doing so ------

kwired

Electron manager
We have used a thin walled PVC pipe (thinner then schedule 40) for years around these parts on the farms for underground lines. It is even gray colored and distributed by same companies that distribute listed electrical PVC raceways, but is not listed. It is nothing but a protective sleeve, generally intended for rodent protection, and we must use conductors/cables suitable for direct burial within it.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
GD -
Would you have a reference for this?
No, but basic physics indicates that with the same ID, OD, and material the solid will be stronger than the foam core. The question is whether it is still strong enough. Since if is used for at least some buried waste lines it seems to be good enough for some applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.