I dont think I should do this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
FWIW, I have a big box of zip ties that I keep for... well, whenever I need one. It's a mixture of old and new, big and small, etc. Not too long ago I needed a large one so I went rummaging through the box and came up with a several years old bag of large white ones. I looped the tie through whatever it was I was wanting to tie together, pulled the tip through the lock, pulled it tight and it snapped. Broke right near the lock. I took another one out of the bag and bent it, and it broke at about a 90 degree bend. They were all like that.

'Nuff said.

I would bet that the ties were the white ones. They will dry rot and become brittle with time, especially outdoors.

The (good) black ones with UV protection won't do that. I've had some outdoors for a few years and they are holding up well.

Aside.....I'm not advocating using the wire ties for the OP's install just pointing out the difference in the wire ties.

iwire

Staff member
I would bet that the ties were the white ones. They will dry rot and become brittle with time, especially outdoors.

The (good) black ones with UV protection won't do that. I've had some outdoors for a few years and they are holding up well.

Aside.....I'm not advocating using the wire ties for the OP's install just pointing out the difference in the wire ties.

Let's go with tie wraps run from great to junk. I have some black UV tie wraps that break easy, they are cheap.

On the other hand if you ask for quality tie wraps you can get good white or black ones.

peter d

Let's go with tie wraps run from great to junk. I have some black UV tie wraps that break easy, they are cheap.

On the other hand if you ask for quality tie wraps you can get good white or black ones.

Yes, the genuine T&B Ty Rap with the stainless steel barb to grip the tie. Those are definitely the best, and most expensive of course.

iwire

Staff member
I agree there could be a violation... but just the fact of wiring them up to be plugged in is a violation of 110.3(B) how?

The fixtures are listed or should be.

The instructions will indicate hardwiring

In my opinion hanging them and plugging them in is installing them.

Therefore it would be violation.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
The fixtures are listed or should be.

The instructions will indicate hardwiring

In my opinion hanging them and plugging them in is installing them.

Therefore it would be violation.
Installing yes, but it seems you are assuming it will be non-compliant. No one has said a non-compliant method will be used other than you, and you are not saying exactly how it will be non-compliant, only that it will be.

So tell us, can it be done in a compliant manner, and if not, why?

iwire

Staff member
Installing yes, but it seems you are assuming it will be non-compliant. No one has said a non-compliant method will be used other than you, and you are not saying exactly how it will be non-compliant, only that it will be.

So tell us, can it be done in a compliant manner, and if not, why?

I have clearly stated my position with references to 110.3(B) article 590 etc.

How about you step up to the plate and give your opinion?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

Never seen a "good" white wire tie.:happyno:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I have clearly stated my position with references to 110.3(B) article 590 etc.

How about you step up to the plate and give your opinion?
Okay. My opinion is it can be done compliantly.

Fixture mounted to pancake box. Box mounted to grid (with zip ties? :thumbsdown:). Flexible cord with plug on one end and other end run into said box with listed restraint. Splices made with wire nuts, plugged in, and working. Flexible cord and plug is not used in lieu of permanent wiring as the fixture will be changed out "frequently".

Where's the violation?

iwire

Staff member
Okay. My opinion is it can be done compliantly.

Fixture mounted to pancake box. Box mounted to grid (with zip ties? :thumbsdown:). Flexible cord with plug on one end and other end run into said box with listed restraint. Splices made with wire nuts, plugged in, and working. Flexible cord and plug is not used in lieu of permanent wiring as the fixture will be changed out "frequently".

Where's the violation?

Why do you believe I think that would be a violation?

iwire

Staff member
Well I seems if you cannot see a blatant contradiction in your posts, the I'm both lost and at a loss. :slaphead:

Then point it out, because I don't see it.

I never said it could not be done code compliantly I simply did not feel the OPs described method is compliant.

kwired

Electron manager
Fixtures displayed in a show room - are they installed or just on display?

Some display products are not even the real product being sold - though that is probably not so much the case with lighting fixtures.

Then comes the question of whether art 590 applies, or even if there is a listed track system for displaying these that it may have additional instructions that wouldn't apply to typical installs on an ordinary outlet box.

iwire

Staff member
Fixtures displayed in a show room - are they installed or just on display?

Some display products are not even the real product being sold - though that is probably not so much the case with lighting fixtures.

Then comes the question of whether art 590 applies, or even if there is a listed track system for displaying these that it may have additional instructions that wouldn't apply to typical installs on an ordinary outlet box.

How about reading the thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.