Existing work and the code

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrobotronic

Hi all,
I have a property I am inspecting and they are doing a basement remodel. The basement is an apartment and has a kitchen, laundry room, it's own meter, etc. The customer is not modifying or extending any circuits. He is adding some however. My take on this is that other that properly supporting the NM in the now exposed portions of the basement, since he will not be modifying or extending the circuits more than six feet, he can keep it the way it is and the added circuits will need to comply with the NEC. Is this the correct call in this circumstance? Or is he obligated to bring all of the exposed work to the standard of the NEC? Thank you.

mwm1752

you may have ocupancy separations in which a firerated assembly would be required -- any wiring inside concealed spaces is ok -- no change of devicing either -- could be a bandit apartment -- what about OCPD access?

mgookin

If existing lawfully installed work exists it is vested to the code under which it was installed. Just the new work must meet code.

But he can't create a violation by changing the building rendering existing installations non-compliant.

david

Hi all,
I have a property I am inspecting and they are doing a basement remodel. The basement is an apartment and has a kitchen, laundry room, it's own meter, etc. .

is the remodel repairing an existing basement apartment, Or is the remodel taking an existing perhaps nu- finished basement and making it into a basement apartment

wrobotronic

Well, I suppose it's how u look at it...I'm saying remodel because cabinets are coming down and drywall being removed and the kitchen reconfigured....but oddly enough the reconfiguration is in line with the existing electrical...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

user 100

Well, I suppose it's how u look at it...I'm saying remodel because cabinets are coming down and drywall being removed and the kitchen reconfigured....but oddly enough the reconfiguration is in line with the existing electrical...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I would say that nothing has to be done to the existing bcs if they aren't going to be touched and new circuits would have to comply w/ the current NEC.

Just the drywall and cabinets getting replaced, the old runs getting exposed and then getting covered back up by new finish shouldn't necessitate the existing wiring getting replaced, unless there is some other factor- damage to existing cables/devices, etc

Last edited:

mwm1752

If existing lawfully installed work exists it is vested to the code under which it was installed. Just the new work must meet code.

But he can't create a violation by changing the building rendering existing installations non-compliant.

Life safety hazard is able to render update in wiring methods in lawfully installed work

Status
Not open for further replies.