code question

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick p

I wired a three car attached garage residential. The garage has an attic above it with about 4 feet of space from the floor to the rafters... just for storage. It has a set of stairs leading to the attic. Dose this type of application require a three way at the top and bottom of the steps ? if so Where can I find that code article ?

Thank you

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Are these permanent stairs then I would say maybe. Many inspector look at it as if the area c an be finished much like going down to an unfinished basement. I have to agree that a 3 way is needed. I know the code never requires a 3 way specifically so those that are going to say something about that-- save it...:D

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
With only 4' of headroom why would you need a switch at the top of the stairs? Is that considered livable? I suppose if you wanted to get cute you could set up some sleeping bags and pretend you're in a small cave. But if you were going to do that you'd want to use a flashlight to get up there for a more realistic experience.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I wired a three car attached garage residential. The garage has an attic above it with about 4 feet of space from the floor to the rafters... just for storage. It has a set of stairs leading to the attic. Dose this type of application require a three way at the top and bottom of the steps ? if so Where can I find that code article ?

Thank you

A switch on each level may be required but 3-ways aren't.

rick p

With only 4' of headroom why would you need a switch at the top of the stairs? Is that considered livable? I suppose if you wanted to get cute you could set up some sleeping bags and pretend you're in a small cave. But if you were going to do that you'd want to use a flashlight to get up there for a more realistic experience.

they are perminet stairs, but there is only four feet of space and its unconditional ... no heat etc... going to add the switch but was just curious if it was necessary and where in the code in was ... I will take a look at 210

Thanks

mgookin

Thank you

By definition that is not a room under the building code if that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.