test prep question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
That would be my answer
Depends on the purpose of the test, doesn't it? I know this is an NEC-based forum, so I'm going to lean that way. But if the test encompasses working for the POCO, either directly or as a contractor, GD's earlier comment is valid.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Does anyone really think that this question is about the POCO side of the service? :slaphead:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
No, Smart likes to look outside the box-- he is a trouble maker....:D
Hey now. I have to earn my moniker. :happyyes:

It's always going to be a matter of others perspective, but I never intentionally cause trouble (except for an occasional slip :angel:... and this isn't one of them).

jumper

how did you come up with 1/0 I cant find anything about paralleled service

310.10(H)(1)

(H) Conductors in Parallel.
(1) General. Aluminum, copper-clad aluminum, or copper
conductors, for each phase, polarity, neutral, or grounded
circuit shall be permitted to be connected in parallel (electrically
joined at both ends) only in sizes 1/0 AWG and
larger where installed in accordance with 310.10(H)(2)
through (H)(6).

Carultch

hm. i think we need to take a pole here.... do we have any pole's here worth taking?

Q: What is the minimum size conductor that can be paralleled for a service:

A. 1/0 per 310.10(H)(1), the minimum of any current-carrying conductor that can be paralleled and treated as a single conductor with combined ampacity.
B. Depends on the utility standards
C. There is no minimum, because the conductors are utility-owned, and thus not governed by the NEC
D. Well if it is something other than copper or aluminum, 310.10(H)(1) doesn't specify a minimum.

I vote for A.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist

A. 1/0 per 310.10(H)(1), the minimum of any current-carrying conductor that can be paralleled and treated as a single conductor with combined ampacity.
C. There is no minimum, because the conductors are utility-owned, and thus not governed by the NEC
D. Well if it is something other than copper or aluminum, 310.10(H)(1) doesn't specify a minimum.

I vote for A.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Then you get an "A" in the class.

JFletcher

I vote for A.

D is also correct as only Cu, Al or some variant of the two are allowable materials for chapter 3 wiring methods. No steel, silver wire

eta: "taking a pole" sounds uncomfortable; I'll pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.