Wet location receptacle outlet cover requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgookin

Can someone tell me what article requires the in-use cover for wet location receptacle outlets?

I'm trying to accommodate a wall wart for landscape lighting applications. If you're not familiar with the industry nomenclature, a wall wart is a tranny that plugs into a receptacle where the plug blades are right on the tranny.

Photo of wall wart:

wall wart.jpg
Note: That photo is not specifically what I'm trying to accommodate, but it's along those lines. Whatever I come up with needs to be as flexible as possible. The NEC article will be my starting point of course.

Thanks!

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Can someone tell me what article requires the in-use cover for wet location receptacle outlets?

I'm trying to accommodate a wall wart for landscape lighting applications. If you're not familiar with the industry nomenclature, a wall wart is a tranny that plugs into a receptacle where the plug blades are right on the tranny.

Photo of wall wart:

View attachment 14343
Note: That photo is not specifically what I'm trying to accommodate, but it's along those lines. Whatever I come up with needs to be as flexible as possible. The NEC article will be my starting point of course.

Thanks!

406.9-(B)- (1)

mgookin

Thanks everybody.

I'll source out the biggest listed in-use cover I can find. I might do a single gang and a 2 gang.

It says the receptacle shall be "listed weather resistant type" in 406.9 B(1) last sentence of the first paragraph. I'll have to check the listing for the receptacle we choose.

It also says receptacles controlled by automatic control have to be identified by some funky logo. That's certainly reasonable. I'll have to dig around and see if supply houses have receptacles with that logo. Electric supply houses are our customers so we have some pretty good connections in that industry.

And the cord needs a tag with ratings, our name, listing, etc. (this is a cord & plug connected controlled receptacle for the landscape lighting industry so they don't have to do any programming).

Thanks again.

jumper

It also says receptacles controlled by automatic control have to be identified by some funky logo. That's certainly reasonable. I'll have to dig around and see if supply houses have receptacles with that logo. Electric supply houses are our customers so we have some pretty good connections in that industry.

http://communities.leviton.com/serv...d Recetpacle Decals and Imprinted Devices.pdf

https://www.google.com/url?q=http:/...ds-cse&usg=AFQjCNHB1aZUqEl7wRPL9cc8KjkqSzpbnw

mgookin

Hey that's really good stuff. I like the Hubbell the best.

No, I see a plug in transformer that cannot be altered to supply lighting loads on the exterior of a building -- Listed for the use is a valid question -- BTW I've dealt with many lighting manufactures that only care about sales

They'll be plugging in whatever they're plugging in today. My job stops at the outlet.

kwired

Electron manager
It says the receptacle shall be "listed weather resistant type" in 406.9 B(1) last sentence of the first paragraph. I'll have to check the listing for the receptacle we choose.
You must not do much outdoor receptacles or have been on older codes, I believe the WR requirement was introduced in 2011 NEC. Can't say I am impressed with any WR receptacles I've used, in fact I have had more WR GFCI failures then I used to have before they were required to be WR - don't know why, all they did AFAIK is use stainless steel or other corrosion resistant material for contact components in the receptacle.

Though a good design idea, I still think it is nothing more then a design issue and doesn't need to be in NEC.

If the automatically controlled receptacle is in say a 210.52 "required outlet" location, maybe there needs to be additional non controlled receptacle installed so that we still comply with 210.52, IMO the automatically controlled outlet is a dedicated outlet and not a 210.52 outlet.

mgookin

You must not do much outdoor receptacles or have been on older codes, I believe the WR requirement was introduced in 2011 NEC. Can't say I am impressed with any WR receptacles I've used, in fact I have had more WR GFCI failures then I used to have before they were required to be WR - don't know why, all they did AFAIK is use stainless steel or other corrosion resistant material for contact components in the receptacle.

Though a good design idea, I still think it is nothing more then a design issue and doesn't need to be in NEC.

If the automatically controlled receptacle is in say a 210.52 "required outlet" location, maybe there needs to be additional non controlled receptacle installed so that we still comply with 210.52, IMO the automatically controlled outlet is a dedicated outlet and not a 210.52 outlet.

We are in flory-duh. We just got on the 2011 NEC last July. We're always about 1.5 editions behind.
This will not be a required receptacle, but it may plug it into one.

kwired

Electron manager
We are in flory-duh. We just got on the 2011 NEC last July. We're always about 1.5 editions behind.
This will not be a required receptacle, but it may plug it into one.
As far as being 1.5 editions behind, all I can say is you are either slow learners, or you want to wait and see how many problems everyone else has before taking on the new edition and adjust accordingly.:)

mgookin

As far as being 1.5 editions behind, all I can say is you are either slow learners, or you want to wait and see how many problems everyone else has before taking on the new edition and adjust accordingly.:)

We're not slow learners. We're smart enough to let others debug the AFCI's and all that junk. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.