Occ sensors: ultrasonic or motion

Status
Not open for further replies.

the blur

Is there a good read for occ sensors? We put an ultrasonic ceiling mounted sensor in a closet, and it is on all too often. The sensor is sensing the pressure wave of a nearby door opening, and turns on. You can see the light shining through the door jam. I'm thinking of adding a door sweep to the bottom of the door.

gar

Occupation
EE
160205-0945 EST

Have you considered a plain ordinary door jam mechanical switch? Assuming there is an appropriate door on the closet. Very high reliablity. Mine are 50 years old, and never a problem.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
160205-0945 EST

Have you considered a plain ordinary door jam mechanical switch? Assuming there is an appropriate door on the closet. Very high reliablity. Mine are 50 years old, and never a problem.

I'm with gar on this. K.I.S.S. I put them in our closet doors on the last house when the kids were young. They were still working when we moved (9 years.) Went from switch to jamb switch to light. All was done after original installation. You just need to use sharp chisels and spade bits.

spark master

Can someone recommend a ceiling occ sensor for a similar type application. In a closet. My supply house only has the ultrasonic sensor by Levitton, and it sensors everything.

I need it to sense people, not anything else.

I see some Chinese sensors on amazon, but I need a quality sensor.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Can someone recommend a ceiling occ sensor for a similar type application. In a closet. My supply house only has the ultrasonic sensor by Levitton, and it sensors everything.

I need it to sense people, not anything else.

I see some Chinese sensors on amazon, but I need a quality sensor.

Get and infrared sensor. Respectfully don't get a dual technology sensor for the closet as one person suggested, because it has an ultrasonic (or microphonic if it is sensorswitch brand) component. Basically, an IR sensor senses temperature variation in motion so it depends on line of sight and a heat (or cold) source. Ultrasonic sends out a sound and detects changes in the reflected sound coming back, so it has some ability to sense around objects, and also doesn't require the heat source.

On top of all that, the IR sensor is the cheapest one, so it should be the first choice where line of sight is always available.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Then please recommend something, because the supply house is clueless.

Type PIR occupancy sensor in to Google and take your pick. Just make sure that it doesn't say dual technology, just PIR (passive infrared). If you stik with Leviton, Cooper, Sensorswitch or Wattstsopper, you can't go wrong.

spark master

I just installed a Grainger PIR occ sensor. 3 wires, but you need to be a programming genius to get it set up properly. Had to break out the reading glasses, and push buttons, and watch the LED light blink. Good luck once the instructions end up in the garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.