Terminal Box cutout reconfig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Designer69

Hi,

I have a terminal box with cutouts for 9 smaller conduits at the bottom. I want to reconfigure/modify the cutouts to allow for 3 larger conduits instead.

1'st question is can this be done?
2'nd can this be done online by doing one at a time?

see attached pic for more clarity

Designer69

So since they are able to punch the new cutouts for the larger conduit live, there will likely be some overlap between the existing cutouts and the new one.

Are they able to "patch in" the overlapped area as well?

see attached graphic. this shows the bottom of terminal box

Attachments

• Cutout overlap.png
    Cutout overlap.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 0

Designer69

another thought I had for this is to install a wireway below. I have attached the below fugly picture in an attempt to help explain.

the 3 conduit bundles are all associated with one certain load. there are 3 loads total so 9 conduits. 2 of the loads must remain online at all times. you can remove only 1 at a time.

If I install the wireway, can I then remove 3 receptacles/conduits at a time and connect new conduits to wireway? place that load online then do the same for the other 2?

I'm just not sure if an electricians can connect conduits like that to a wireway.

Attachments

• box modification.jpg
    box modification.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 0

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
It sounds like in addition to the details of conductor routing your are talking about working on live electrical circuits, or at least working on dead circuits inside enclosures that also contain live circuits with splices.
That takes a pretty strong justification.

Designer69

It sounds like in addition to the details of conductor routing your are talking about working on live electrical circuits, or at least working on dead circuits inside enclosures that also contain live circuits with splices.
That takes a pretty strong justification.

I understand but whether we make new cutouts at the bottom of the terminal box and install larger conduits or install a new wireway below and extend conduits to wireway/ install larger conduits at bottom of wireway... either way the work must be done live.

so I am just trying to figure out what is the better method.

thank you

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I understand but whether we make new cutouts at the bottom of the terminal box and install larger conduits or install a new wireway below and extend conduits to wireway/ install larger conduits at bottom of wireway... either way the work must be done live.

so I am just trying to figure out what is the better method.

thank you
It would be a very rare case where that work would be permitted while the equipment is live.

Designer69

ok let's assume the work will not be done live. Which method would be preferred, modify cutouts at bottom of existing box or wireway with all new cutouts?

thanks

Designer69

Actully I will continue to assume it will be done live and you have no concern about the safety of the workers.

haha definitely not true, I am very concerned. This is work on a 120VAC panel with multiple terminal strips w sliding links. So work will be done on a dead portion of the panel although with other live terminal strips in the same enclosure.

there is no other way, the alternative would be to shut down the plant and they wouldn't listen to me even if I demanded it.

Thank you guys, great site

Status
Not open for further replies.