User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Where to begin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg1707 View Post
    The guy says he has 19 years of experience in single phase, commercial work, three phase and transformers. This is not sufficient?

It would depend on which state he is trying to get his master's license in. Some states require more than others.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post
    If your plan is to test for a license limited to single phase work, then have at it. Otherwise, I have to agree with tkb. You should instead be seeking a job where you can get more experience in the 3-phase work. My Florida unlimited license requires 12,000 hours of experience, 40% of which is 3-phase work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg1707 View Post
    The guy says he has 19 years of experience in single phase, commercial work, three phase and transformers. This is not sufficient?
    I wasn't trying to be hard on him, but I am concerned that someone who has little three-phase experience (the way I read his post) would be getting licensed for three-phase work. That could be dangerous for both him and his clients.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_B View Post
    I'm interested in passing the National Master Electrician's exam thru Pearson Vue.
    I've been in the industry for 19 years but my experience with electrical is limited. I've been exposed to mostly single phase, 120/240V work at the light commercial level. We've done a few larger jobs involving 3 phase and installing some single phase XFMR's. But, thats about it.

Looking for input on the best way to become more familiar with the NEC, how to use it efficiently and hopefully pass a test. I wasn't sure if one of the kits that Mike Holt offers would be all that is needed or if someone could recommend some useful classes in the Pittsburgh PA area.
    Mikes stuff is great. He also has a lot of videos on YouTube that you can view for free and maybe find some of your weaknesses. Not sure about the test you're taking but around here a prep course is extremely valuable because you will get some insight into what you actually need to learn to pass the exam. And don't be dissuaded by the naysayers, I know many great electricians who don't know everything.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_B View Post
    I'm interested in passing the National Master Electrician's exam thru Pearson Vue.
    I've been in the industry for 19 years but my experience with electrical is limited. I've been exposed to mostly single phase, 120/240V work at the light commercial level. We've done a few larger jobs involving 3 phase and installing some single phase XFMR's. But, thats about it.

Looking for input on the best way to become more familiar with the NEC, how to use it efficiently and hopefully pass a test. I wasn't sure if one of the kits that Mike Holt offers would be all that is needed or if someone could recommend some useful classes in the Pittsburgh PA area.
    Welcome to the Forum, Mike !

From your description, it sounds like you'll want to bone up on calculations, especially three phase. Remember, the Master "designs" for the installation, and, that, in addition to knowing the NEC, and knowing practical mechanical installation, and simple Ohm's and Power Law equations, one needs to be versed in the Chapter 2, Article 220 Calculations along with Chapter 9 and Informative Annex D (Examples.)

This Forum can be a powerful learning tool. I've watched others use it the way I'm going to suggest to you, . . . as I wish I had this way back in the dark ages when I did my studying. Taking a "masters exam prep class," a long one like two full days, can do a lot to show up where you need additional study, and it can easily result in a series of questions that you don't understand or understand the answers of.

What I suggest is to bring those questions here, along with your answer. Show your work as you ask for help with the question. Don't just copy the question (that's taken as doing your homework, when we help answer without your showing the work of an answer attempt.)

The reality is, embarking on a career as a Master is to engage with a continual-learning career. Speaking for myself, I take these questions as a means to continue my personal "boning up" even though I've got decades as a working, hands-on-the-tools Master.
    Another Al in Minnesota