Sharing neutrals with an AFCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alfont1120

Occupation
Electrical Project Manager/Journeyman Electrician
Gents,

I know that I will have nuisance tripping if I share a neutral with 2 circuits on AFCI breakers. My question is, if I have 2 circuits sharing a neutral, would I be able to put one of them on an AFCI breaker, and plug in a Portable AFCI surge protector (http://www.true-safe.com/prod-afci-portable.html) into the other? We have those pre-made, internally wired office cubicles and at each set of plugs, they have circuits 1 & 2 which share a neutral and 3, which is isolated. I am trying to avoid, if possible, pulling new circuits over to this area and adding surface mounted plugs, like my Facilities Director is asking for....Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
some AFCI breakers do not have any GFI sensing and will allow shared neutrals Or you can use a 2 pole version.
This is for cubicles in a non dwelling and are not required.
I have heard many AFCI breakers are not rated on a 120/208 wye type system for a multi-wire configuration also.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Gents,

I know that I will have nuisance tripping if I share a neutral with 2 circuits on AFCI breakers. My question is, if I have 2 circuits sharing a neutral, would I be able to put one of them on an AFCI breaker, and plug in a Portable AFCI surge protector (http://www.true-safe.com/prod-afci-portable.html) into the other?

Thank you
No, you cannot do that.

You can use a two pole AFCI, or a GE brand, or use two of the plugs.

Alfont1120

Occupation
Electrical Project Manager/Journeyman Electrician
No, you cannot do that.

You can use a two pole AFCI, or a GE brand, or use two of the plugs.

Unfortunately, the three panels that take care of that area are square D. Ordering two pole breakers might end up being my solution. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.