Hospital grade receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdo1970

In hospital patient care area, is it necessary to bond the insulated grounding wire to the device box or is it too redundant, being that the sheathing is already bonded to the device box

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
517.13(B)
(B) Insulated Equipment Grounding Conductor.

The following shall be directly connected to an insulated copper equipment grounding conductor that is

installed with the branch circuit conductors in the wiring methods as provided in 517.13(A).

(1) The grounding terminals of all receptacles.
(2) Metal boxes and enclosures containing receptacles

(Note: Please complete the info in your profile)

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
is it necessary to bond the insulated grounding wire to the device box or is it too redundant
I agree with Augie and would add that when it comes to equipment grounding there is no such thing as too redundant. (excluding isolated grounding of course)

The whole reason for 517.13(A) and (B) is to provide multiple paths and redundancy for equipment grounding and the more paths the better.

Roger

RobertKLR

I work in a hospital and augie47 is correct but always check with the hospital's electrician or engineer first. Hospital wiring gets modified often (butchered is more accurate) and there could be surprises behind covers.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I'm not sure if the title of this thread is accurate, the question is not exclusive to HG receptacles, HG receptacles are not required in many Patient Care Areas but, the requirements of 517.13 would be.

Roger

victor.cherkashi

Can we have additional wire (isolated wire)(250.146(D) in health care facility? If yes, we don't connect insulated ground wire to terminals, am I right?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.