European 220v outlet kitchen install

Status
Not open for further replies.

subman

I am doing a kitchen renovation and the customer is requesting a European 220v outlet to be installed at the kitchen counter,

I've never done one before. I'm looking on line to where to buy one. Has anyone had any experience in installing them?

Thanks for your help.

Besoeker

I am doing a kitchen renovation and the customer is requesting a European 220v outlet to be installed at the kitchen counter,

I've never done one before. I'm looking on line to where to buy one. Has anyone had any experience in installing them?

Thanks for your help.
Any particular European country in mind?

BTW, the EU zone nominal standard is 230V, not 220V.

iwire

Staff member
Unless the appliance is rated more than 1440 va it'll most likely be an NEC violation to install that receptacle in their kitchen

R00LT1DE

Rammer Jammer
Occupation
Air Force Electrical Systems
FYI...EU is 230V L-N. Brown is hot, blue is nuetral, and green/yellow is ground. Installed many of these while deployed abroad.

iwire

Staff member
The red part could be important.

210.6 Branch-Circuit Voltage Limitations. The nominal
voltage of branch circuits shall not exceed the values permitted
by 210.6(A) through (E).

(A) Occupancy Limitation. In dwelling units and guest
rooms or guest suites of hotels, motels, and similar occupancies,
the voltage shall not exceed 120 volts, nominal, between
conductors that supply the terminals of the following:

(1) Luminaires

(2) Cord-and-plug-connected loads 1440 volt-amperes,
nominal, or less or less than 1⁄4 hp

subman

RoolT1DE,

I was told by the salesman that I would need a regular 12-2 wire, Black and white=220V and bare ground to ground.

Is he correct? A little confused. If I sound stupid, please forgive me.

quote-("FYI...EU is 230V L-N. Brown is hot, blue is neutral, and green/yellow is ground. Installed many of these while deployed abroad.")

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
RoolT1DE,

I was told by the salesman that I would need a regular 12-2 wire, Black and white=220V and bare ground to ground.

quote-("FYI...EU is 230V L-N. Brown is hot, blue is neutral, and green/yellow is ground. Installed many of these while deployed abroad.")

What is the current draw of these appliances? How many? Unless you have more then 2 or 3 or them 12-2 on a 20amp breaker should do it. The US is L-L 240 volts instead of L-N 230 volts, but the polarity should not make a difference. Some items with induction motors may not like the 60Hz power. Heaters, thermostats and electronics will not care.

R00LT1DE

Rammer Jammer
Occupation
RoolT1DE,

Yes and no. Most European voltages are 230/415 (at least what I have dealt with). Not sure if the appliance(s) will be able to operate properly using the L-L (black-white) 240V. Additionally, like another member mentioned that the 60Hz may impact the appliance(s) since they are most likely 50Hz. Though I have seen some dual rated in voltage and frequency. Another option may be to get a step up and down transformer (http://www.bombayelectronics.com/ST_2000_Voltage_Transformer_p/st2000.htm). It's a little bulky and not too aesthetically pleasing but will give the 220/240V L-N needed for the appliance. Most of their outlets are rated at 13 amps and the plugs are typically fused with 13 amp fuses so keep that in mind for the appliance(s).

As for the color code given (Brown, blue, green/yellow), that is their coloring system to not be confused with ours in the states.

R00LT1DE

Rammer Jammer
Occupation
Yes and no. Most European voltages are 230/415 (at least what I have dealt with). Not sure if the appliance(s) will be able to operate properly using the L-L (black-white) 240V. Additionally, like another member mentioned that the 60Hz may impact the appliance(s) since they are most likely 50Hz. Though I have seen some dual rated in voltage and frequency. Another option may be to get a step up and down transformer (http://www.bombayelectronics.com/ST_2000_Voltage_Transformer_p/st2000.htm). It's a little bulky and not too aesthetically pleasing but will give the 220/240V L-N needed for the appliance. Most of their outlets are rated at 13 amps and the plugs are typically fused with 13 amp fuses so keep that in mind for the appliance(s).

As for the color code given (Brown, blue, green/yellow), that is their coloring system to not be confused with ours in the states.

Found the outlet/plug and notice the plug has a fuse one (Type G) in the red cavity and the other (Type F) you can see if you look closely at the bottom of the plug.

Attachments

• Outlet and Plug EU.JPG
    Outlet and Plug EU.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 0

R00LT1DE

Rammer Jammer
Occupation
Found the outlet/plug and notice the Type G plug has a fuse in the red cavity and Type F, I believe, does not from what I recall. Sure it is a grounding strap.

Correction above. :slaphead:

Last edited:

subman

Gentlemen,

For those interested. I spoke with the home owner. They told me the appliance's that they have is a blender and a small toaster oven.

Both those appliances have a pin type plug -(Type F-Like the outlet ROOLTIDE posted).

I purchased a GFI/outlet combo from this site. According to what I've read from your comments, it should work out.

I ordered this-http://www.internationalconfig.com/icc6.asp?item=70200x45

Thanks again for your help.

iwire

Staff member
Gentlemen,

For those interested. I spoke with the home owner. They told me the appliance's that they have is a blender and a small toaster oven.

Which makes it very likely an NEC violation for you to install an 240 outlet in this home for those appliances.

Status
Not open for further replies.