User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Energy Code Requirement for Lighting Control

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    251
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Energy Code Requirement for Lighting Control

    Greetings,

    I was wondering if anyone knows all or some of the energy codes or any other codes that force us to use lighting control.

    Thank you in advance.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    NYC, NY
    Posts
    251
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on type of space (residential or commercial), in NYC we must comply with
    https://www1.nyc.gov/site/buildings/...tion-code.page


    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    251
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by victor.cherkashi View Post
    Depends on type of space (residential or commercial), in NYC we must comply with
    https://www1.nyc.gov/site/buildings/...tion-code.page


    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    I am working mostly on commercial jobs.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ocala, Florida, USA
    Posts
    3,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Electriman View Post
    Greetings,

    I was wondering if anyone knows all or some of the energy codes or any other codes that force us to use lighting control.

    Thank you in advance.

    Start with you State Building Code. It most likely has some directly written energy codes and it is also very likely it will reference some for of code standard, such as AHRAE 90 or Title 24. But basically those are considered adopted and integral to the building code, so it is really your building code that will direct you.


    I know what I don't know, and I know where to go to find it!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    New York, 40.7514,-73.9925
    Posts
    4,813
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm doing some design work in Dallas and we have to follow the 2015 IECC with Dallas Amendments
    https://dallascityhall.com/departmen...01-25-2017.pdf

    That invokes lighting control in other areas but specifically Section C405 https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/IE...rgy-efficiency

    Each jurisdiction will adopt its own Energy code, just like they can amend their own Electric Code.
    Last edited by ron; 12-03-18 at 07:40 PM.
    Ron

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ocala, Florida, USA
    Posts
    3,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ron View Post
    I'm doing some design work in Dallas and we have to follow the 2015 IECC with Dallas Amendments
    https://dallascityhall.com/departmen...01-25-2017.pdf

    That invokes lighting control in other areas but specifically Section C405 https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/IE...rgy-efficiency

    Each jurisdiction will adopt its own Energy code, just like they can amend their own Electric Code.
    Well here in Florida the only jurisdiction that has authority to amend the NEC is the state.


    I know what I don't know, and I know where to go to find it!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    196
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Electriman View Post
    Greetings,

    I was wondering if anyone knows all or some of the energy codes or any other codes that force us to use lighting control.

    Thank you in advance.
    If you're designing commercial here in Texas, the State minimum code is IECC 2015. If you're designing for any public projects with the State, it's ASHRAE 90.1 2016. Municipalities will also have their own variations on IECC. Some have adopted codes less stringent than 2015, and have noted they will not enforce the state minimum mandated IECC 2015 code, so take that for what it's worth. If you're outside of a muncipality (ie, county for example), then you defer to the State codes. NEC 2017 and IECC 2015 as your basis of design.

    You'll really need to watch the daylighting zones and provide commchecks as required when submitting plans for approval. We've observed the inspectors mostly looking at the commcheck to count fixtures when on site and not so much focus on the control aspect of it.

    There's a lot of exceptions and additional requirements in IECC 2015 that can trigger your project so if you're good at interpreting the funny wording to the NEC, you should be familiar with how 'code' language can be tricky. Just remember to look at what subsection you're under and read from top to bottom as some requirements may appear they apply to your project, but in reality, it may be under a section that your project does not have.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    251
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tw1156 View Post
    If you're designing commercial here in Texas, the State minimum code is IECC 2015. If you're designing for any public projects with the State, it's ASHRAE 90.1 2016. Municipalities will also have their own variations on IECC. Some have adopted codes less stringent than 2015, and have noted they will not enforce the state minimum mandated IECC 2015 code, so take that for what it's worth. If you're outside of a muncipality (ie, county for example), then you defer to the State codes. NEC 2017 and IECC 2015 as your basis of design.

    You'll really need to watch the daylighting zones and provide commchecks as required when submitting plans for approval. We've observed the inspectors mostly looking at the commcheck to count fixtures when on site and not so much focus on the control aspect of it.

    There's a lot of exceptions and additional requirements in IECC 2015 that can trigger your project so if you're good at interpreting the funny wording to the NEC, you should be familiar with how 'code' language can be tricky. Just remember to look at what subsection you're under and read from top to bottom as some requirements may appear they apply to your project, but in reality, it may be under a section that your project does not have.
    Thank you so much for all your replies.

    My projects are spread out over the country. In order to be consistent, I am thinking to design to most stringent codes which I think that is Title 24.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    196
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Electriman View Post
    Thank you so much for all your replies.

    My projects are spread out over the country. In order to be consistent, I am thinking to design to most stringent codes which I think that is Title 24.
    I would caution you in doing so in that some codes aren't equal. For example, IECC daylighting requirements are not the same as ASHRAE daylighting requirements. IECC has one single daylight zone that requires daylight harvesters, while ASHRAE has a primary and secondary zone for daylighting that would each require their own harvesters. There are other things similar to this, and Title 24 for each and every project sounds like it would be pretty expensive to the owner if it wasn't needed.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    NYC, NY
    Posts
    251
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ASHRAE is more expensive and more complicated solution for lighting control than IECC 2015

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •