AFCI tripping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
Homeowners moving into new house, their vacuum cleaner trips AFCI circuit breaker every time. Various room circuits, same problem. I used Seimens brand AFCI breakers for each bedroom. What can I try? Thank you.

JFletcher

Are the circuit wires (ungrounded and grounded) both on the AFCI, and the AFCI pigtail to the neutral bar?

Seen one vac trip one of four AFCIs, we replaced the AFCI. If it's tripping multiple AFCIs, it's a wiring problem or a bad vac.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Not only that, some have an incorrect waveform right out of the factory :eek::eek::happyno::p
And that problem should be solved by one company....the manufacture of the AFCI.

100% of the costs for solving these types of problems should rest with the AFCI manufactures, but expect it will take a number of successful class action suits before they start picking up these costs.

kwired

Electron manager
Instead of trying different generations/different brands/etc. of AFCI's I bet the problem goes away real fast by trying a non AFCI breaker, new or older generation.:angel:

Pizza

Pull that stupid thing out and add it to your collection under your front seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cad99

Normally when get this call there is a treadmill or a 1932 Kirby vacuum nearby. I have heard of high end surge protectors being able to help.i change breaker if still the problem tell them it's time for a new vac. Don't really feel the need to get the fancy Siemens arc fault tester. I sometimes "forget" and leave normal breaker at the house.

Living the dream one nightmare at a time

Status
Not open for further replies.