"Bugs"

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

Has anyone heard the terminology "bug" when referring to a splice. I've heard it before a few times and even "bug nut". Anyone know where thise came from?

also, there seems to be so many diff "taps" for splicing. When you splice a FEEDER how do you determine which type you'll use? Guys I know pefer Ilsco products? Thanks

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Just a guess, namely that the taped up splice looks like a bug sitting on the wire.
Similar to the reason that certain crimp on splices used by Telco workers are called beans.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Yes, a bug = split bolt connector $$$
Used to use them quite often for hot line taps durring fair events. We no longer do that though.
More permanent methods used now in which we use H-tap connectors like the POCO uses.

peter d

Used to use them quite often for hot line taps durring fair events. We no longer do that though.
More permanent methods used now in which we use H-tap connectors like the POCO uses.

It's still standard practice though we use a parallel groove mechanical connector rather than a conventional split bolt, per poco specs. H-tap crimpers are too expensive for the average resi EC that only does the occasional service change.

mstrlucky74

Thanks...and thier called H-Tap...why?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Has anyone heard the terminology "bug" when referring to a splice. I've heard it before a few times and even "bug nut". Anyone know where thise came from?

also, there seems to be so many diff "taps" for splicing. When you splice a FEEDER how do you determine which type you'll use? Guys I know pefer Ilsco products? Thanks

Forget using "bugs" (as mentioned previously slang for split-bolts). Ilsco type splices are much better for several reasons. One you do not need to tape them and two if the connectors are properly torqued then you'll know for sure that the connection is good. Split-bolts seem to never get tight enough even after you tighten, bash with Channel-locks several times, tighten and repeat.
:roll:

Around here Bugs refer to split bolts. I think they still have their place, in the case of when you want to "tap" a conductor and cant or dont want to cut it. For just plain splicing of two conductors, I prefer the setscrew butt connectors due to their speed and low cost. The "polaris" type insulated set screw type are great for more complicated splicing/tapping tasks and their only downside is they are expensive.

JFletcher

Just a guess, namely that the taped up splice looks like a bug sitting on the wire.
Similar to the reason that certain crimp on splices used by Telco workers are called beans.

Jellybeans. Still common for scotchlok UY2 and UR3 connectors. Still have the $20 pliers whose sole purpose is to crimp those things flat.

mivey

Forget using "bugs" (as mentioned previously slang for split-bolts). Ilsco type splices are much better for several reasons. One you do not need to tape them and two if the connectors are properly torqued then you'll know for sure that the connection is good. Split-bolts seem to never get tight enough even after you tighten, bash with Channel-locks several times, tighten and repeat.
:roll:
I quit doing that and just brought a hammer. You will beat the stew out of your pliers like that and they start to look like road rash.

Status
Not open for further replies.