Splicing GEC multi GEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

zcanyonboltz

Article 250.64 (C) is rules on splicing but... Is there an article that says how many times the GEC can be spliced? This was a Q on my RW exam how many times can GEC be spliced, 0,1,2,8?
There was also a Q that asked how many GECs can terminate on a water pipe, I'm thinking this is for a multi unit dwelling where each unit has its own service drop or lateral, meter and panel and a GEC goes from each unit panel or disconnect to a one common cold water building feed. Thanks for any info.

zcanyonboltz

Makes sense to me. Part of the test is reading the test and seeing what they want, I see how zero would be "correct". I'm taking JW soon so thinking back to RW a lot. Thanks

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Since it required to be continuous (with exceptions) I would say 0.
While 0 is likely the answer being sought, a GEC can be spliced... just has to be done irreversibly or using one of the other methods listed in 250.64(C), as mentioned. In that sense, there is no limit to the number of splices.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Makes sense to me. Part of the test is reading the test and seeing what they want, I see how zero would be "correct". I'm taking JW soon so thinking back to RW a lot. Thanks
This is one of the pitfalls of test written by authors varying in the level of professional understanding. The correct answer isn't always the absolutely correct answer. By that I mean the test score is based on the answer desired by the test author, which isn't always accurate to the nth degree.

In some cases the desired answer can be outright in error. Yet that desired answer effects a positive score.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Funny, my take would be that at most 1 could land there since any additional wires would be bonding jumpers of one kind or another. :)
Not necessarily. What about the case where there is multiple service disconnecting means (SDM) in separate enclosures? While permitted to run one common GEC and tap off that to each enclosure, it is also permitted to run a GEC from each SDM... so you could have multiple GEC connecting to the water pipe.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
While 0 is likely the answer being sought, a GEC can be spliced... just has to be done irreversibly or using one of the other methods listed in 250.64(C), as mentioned. In that sense, there is no limit to the number of splices.

Which makes the only possible answer 0.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The requirement in the wording is that it be continuous but there are a few exceptions. So without exception it must be continuous which makes 0 the only possible answer but with exception there is no limit as to the number of times it can be spliced so that answer would be infinity which isn't on your list.

250.64(C) Continuous. Except as provided in 250.30(A)(5) and
(A)(6), 250.30(B)(1), and 250.68(C), grounding electrode
conductor(s) shall be installed in one continuous length
without a splice or joint.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
The requirement in the wording is that it be continuous but there are a few exceptions. So without exception it must be continuous which makes 0 the only possible answer but with exception there is no limit as to the number of times it can be spliced so that answer would be infinity ...and I am not among the answer choices.
FIFY :lol:

zcanyonboltz

The requirement in the wording is that it be continuous but there are a few exceptions. So without exception it must be continuous which makes 0 the only possible answer but with exception there is no limit as to the number of times it can be spliced so that answer would be infinity which isn't on your list.

Completely makes sense why to choose 0 for the how many GEC splices question and what they're looking for. The question about how many GECs can terminate on a water pipe I don't see where they're getting that from I don't find an article that relates to number of GEC terminations on a water pipe in GEC articles.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Completely makes sense why to choose 0 for the how many GEC splices question and what they're looking for. The question about how many GECs can terminate on a water pipe I don't see where they're getting that from I don't find an article that relates to number of GEC terminations on a water pipe in GEC articles.
250.64(D)(2)
250.68(C).

Status
Not open for further replies.