User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: POE for a camera

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

POE for a camera

What is the max distance for POE (power over ethernet) on cat6 for a camera?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About the same as the Ethernet signal, 100m (330 ft); well, 24v for 50m and 48v for 100m. It does depend a bit on the device and active vs passive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is there a device or something to boost? i need to go max 450'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hfalz1 View Post
    is there a device or something to boost? i need to go max 450'.
    The POE question is moot as you can't have an ethernet link beyond 333 feet anyway.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your Ethernet won't go 450', it's limited to about 330'. If you need to get out that far, you need to either run fiber for the 'net and maybe 18g copper for power or put a network switch (repeater) somewhere along line (which will need power) and put the PoE supply out there.

There are fiber media converters that also act as PoE supplies, but they still need to get the power from somewhere (e.g. http://www.antaira.com/products/poe-.../FCU-2805P-SFP or https://www.perle.com/products/10-10...html#overview; I haven't needed to use either unit).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't multiple pairs be paralleled?
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFine View Post
    that's a no... besides the electrician way of thinking...you still have to terminate it in a jack- which will not allow it... for the OP, id call the manufacture and confirm... im not sure why it wouldn't work with the booster. ethernet doesn't mean that the video signal is wireless... its still hard wired to a dvr...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFine View Post
    Assuming that the ethernet connection only requires two pair (some use all four), you could parallel the other two for power to reduce voltage drop. However you still have the data distance limitation of 333 ft. on the data pairs. So that's not going to help. You're going to have to get your POE switch closer to the camera or figure out a shorter route. A better way is to run fiber with integral power conductors out to a fiber/ethernet converter located with the camera.

-Hal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used a coaxial converter that carried both the data and power longer that CAT cables. I have one about 1,200’ with a single coax. The POE camera is a pan tilt zone with heater about 80’ up on a stadium light pole. I don’t know the manufacturer but our camera vendor supplied it.
    Easy install with no programming. Been flawless for about 4 years now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a 500' box of Cat 6, Hook up the camera and power and see if it works. Leave the wire in the box. Also, you can see what the VD drop is. If it works, it works. The worst case scenario is it will probably work but have some dropped frames. You may not notice.

I'm not saying I would install and charge someone for this, but to see if it would work. I say it will.

The 100m is for data to make the spec of the cable... I'm not sure, but the video may be running under UDP, not TCP which it doesn't matter if some frames are dropped. It will keep pushing out the signal no matter how the screen looks since the Ack/Nak is different... I think I explained this to be clear as mud.