Aluminum EMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrobotronic

Has anyone ran into this product? It was introduced to me today by an EC that asked if we (the AHJ) were going to accept it. So, I was trying to gather some thoughts on this and see if any other inspectors have run into it and what your jurisdictions are doing... Thanks all

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I take it back

Electrical Metallic Tubing (EMT). An unthreaded thinwall
raceway of circular cross section designed for the
physical protection and routing of conductors and cables
and for use as an equipment grounding conductor when
installed utilizing appropriate fittings. EMT is generally
made of steel (ferrous) with protective coatings or aluminum
(nonferrous).

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I've seen it once on a job. Cannot be in direct contact with poured concrete so you'll need sleeves. Is pretty light when compared to steel EMT. To me unless the environment requires aluminum I wouldn't use it.

tkb

Aluminum EMT is a material mentioned in 358.2.
As long as the Aluminum EMT is a listed product installed in suitable locations per 358, then it should be accepted.

wrobotronic

I 'cut my teeth' on aluminium RMC. I never ran or saw AL in EMT.

What is the cost comparison between AL and regular EMT? AL may be much easier to work with once a person gets used to it. It would certainly be lighter.

The contractor I was talking with says it is half the cost. I'm not sure I believe that based on this particular ECs track record with me. He did also say it's very easy to bend, and its extruded, so that little tit is not present.

ADub

Occupation
Estimator/Project Manager
I don't think it'd hold up to the same abuse as steel emt. I install al grc regularly enough and I think it's garbage, it bends and threads super easy but it's a weak metal, I'd have to assume the al emt is even weaker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris1971

Has anyone ran into this product? It was introduced to me today by an EC that asked if we (the AHJ) were going to accept it. So, I was trying to gather some thoughts on this and see if any other inspectors have run into it and what your jurisdictions are doing... Thanks all

We ran aluminum rigid 10-12 years ago in a municipal well building It was specified by the engineer. Haven't used aluminum emt.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Even fish tape is difficult to push thru aluminum conduit.

I decided to try a aluminum rigid on a small job a few months ago. I liked it, other than having to use antisieze at all the conduit bodies and FD boxes to keep the threads from galling up. We purchased a nylon coated Ideal fish tape just for this job and it worked well. We didn't even try a regular fish tape though.

Status
Not open for further replies.