User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: customer balked at price

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thankyou for your input.

    It is just sidework to me after 35 years in the trade doing commercial and industrial work. Its obvious why my boss didn't let me do the estimating. I work at my own pace, but in the end I know the quality that went into the job and that is most important even if it takes me a little longer. I am glad for the work to keep me busy but also disappointed when a customer feels I've left a bad taste in their mouth. Thankyou to all for your advise. mudcat.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    39,107
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudcat555 View Post
    It is just sidework to me after 35 years in the trade doing commercial and industrial work. Its obvious why my boss didn't let me do the estimating. I work at my own pace, but in the end I know the quality that went into the job and that is most important even if it takes me a little longer. I am glad for the work to keep me busy but also disappointed when a customer feels I've left a bad taste in their mouth. Thankyou to all for your advise. mudcat.
    If it is side work you may not have the overhead some have and your price may be more justified for your situation. Still think it is about at the low end for anyone that wants to make any profit at all. You probably put at least 30-40 hours minimum into this didn't you? What is that time worth to you even if you aren't interested in marking up materials or other costs?
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Eastern Oregon
    Posts
    3,670
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess the main question is....Are you in this to make money or are you doing this just to keep busy?

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Posts
    10,407
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow View Post
    I guess the main question is....Are you in this to make money or are you doing this just to keep busy?
    I have a full time position for someone that just wants to keep busy.
    Tom
    TBLO

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Atlanta,GA
    Posts
    6,037
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudcat555 View Post
    I charged the customer material plus $2300.00 labor at the end of the job. He was not happy with the labor price. Was my labor price out of line based on what other electricians would have charged?
    I'm never all that happy with what I have to pay for things either.

    You made a mistake on this by not giving an upfront price on it. An up front price is either a confirmed quoted or an hourly rate of what you will charge T&M.

    I don't know what electricians charge in that area but I can't think of anyone doing it any cheaper.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Jamaica and london
    Posts
    1,236
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ptonsparky View Post
    I have a full time position for someone that just wants to keep busy.
    if you weren't in snow country I might check it out, for the learning experience..lol... as long as I earned enough to cover bills.... but right now I hate snow and cold and such...
    Ha Ha
    Student of electrical codes. Please Take others advice first.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •