User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Persistence of Hazardous Area Classifications

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen a wharf area classified depending on all the different ship configurations. It didn't make much sense to me. It doesn't change the wiring methods required.

If folks want to drive their equipment down the wharf when ships aren't there (or any other similar scenario), that is a Process Safety management issue and not an Area Classification issue.

I have seen:
    • lights or signs used to indicate when traffic is acceptable and when it is not acceptable
    • hot work permits/automotive permits involving monitoring the LEL of the area
    • any other mitigation that is acceptable to prevent an ignition source and a flammable material from meeting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nollij View Post
    I have seen a wharf area classified depending on all the different ship configurations. It didn't make much sense to me. It doesn't change the wiring methods required.

If folks want to drive their equipment down the wharf when ships aren't there (or any other similar scenario), that is a Process Safety management issue and not an Area Classification issue.

I have seen:
    • lights or signs used to indicate when traffic is acceptable and when it is not acceptable
    • hot work permits/automotive permits involving monitoring the LEL of the area
    • any other mitigation that is acceptable to prevent an ignition source and a flammable material from meeting
    It is always a PSM interpretation to expand electrical area classifications, the intent of which is explicitly limited to temporary and permanent electrical installations, to restricted access for motor (highway) vehicles. If only the relevant EAC standards producing organizations would acknowledge this reality and provide clear standardized design requirements / guidance for some of the solutions you have mention.