Kitchen Peninsula

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
That is not how it is normally interpreted. The problem is they don't give us anything except connecting edge. Why even mention connecting edge if it is the wall. It would be unnecessary

This brings us back to an old thread on this subject and this graphic from mike holt that I modified. The connecting edge, IMO is 2' off the wall and the 2" section would be part of the wall base cabinets even if constructed as one piece

ry%3D400

Now put a sink in there and we are back to our original question. I think we all agree one is needed there but do we install one?

ry%3D400

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
This brings us back to an old thread on this subject and this graphic from mike holt that I modified. The connecting edge, IMO is 2' off the wall and the 2" section would be part of the wall base cabinets even if constructed as one piece

ry%3D400

Now put a sink in there and we are back to our original question. I think we all agree one is needed there but do we install one?

ry%3D400

It's required but probably not enforced much. IMO it should not be required for a peninsula and only required for an island where there is no connecting edge which for a peninsula would have a receptacle on the wall.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Per post #21 and the revised drawing, one receptacle is required.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
It's required but probably not enforced much. IMO it should not be required for a peninsula and only required for an island where there is no connecting edge which for a peninsula would have a receptacle on the wall.

I agree I will try To remember to write a proposal for the 2020 NEC

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Good idea and good luck. In the past cycle I've less acceptance of simple wording that clears up confusion. :slaphead:
My first year I thought I did okay. I think I had about 20% either accepted or accepted in principle. This last cycle I was not well organized probably won't do well-- i haven't even looked to see what is going on....

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
These work well for that location where it might be challenging to put in a standard tamper resistant duplex receptacle.

http://www.sillites.com/newconstruction.php

Yes they do, in fact, we use them on every island and peninsula. A few years back I ordered some from my supplier. I told them to set up an account with them and stock them. They did and they sell them all the time

JohnE

Dennis, I agree with your interpretation that a receptacle is required in this space. Between the stove and the connecting edge. I've never placed one there, I've never heard of anyone in this area requiring it. Though I haven't seen a lot of peninsulas with either a sink or a stove/ range/ cooktop on them in a long time. Somewhat of a dated design.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Dennis, I agree with your interpretation that a receptacle is required in this space. Between the stove and the connecting edge. I've never placed one there, I've never heard of anyone in this area requiring it. Though I haven't seen a lot of peninsulas with either a sink or a stove/ range/ cooktop on them in a long time. Somewhat of a dated design.

We see islands with ranges and sinks but peninsulas often do not have ranges or sinks. I must say we did wire a range in a peninsula about a year ago

JFletcher

Ive put in the sill-lites for holiday lighting, not in a kitchen tho. Didnt think about it before, but how are they NEC legal as far as the grounds go? Thought grounding continuity couldnt be interrupted by device removal.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Ive put in the sill-lites for holiday lighting, not in a kitchen tho. Didnt think about it before, but how are they NEC legal as far as the grounds go? Thought grounding continuity couldnt be interrupted by device removal.

Here is what it states

(B) Grounding Continuity. The arrangement of grounding
connections shall be such that the disconnection or the
removal of a receptacle, luminaire, or other device fed from
the box does not interfere with or interrupt the grounding
continuity.

There is no box... That's all I can think of and this is a listed product with TR receptacles

iwire

Staff member
I have not installed sill-light receptacles but I have looked at the site.

I don't see any legal way to bring two NMs into them. Removing the device would interrupt the EGC to downstream outlets.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I have not installed sill-light receptacles but I have looked at the site.

I don't see any legal way to bring two NMs into them. Removing the device would interrupt the EGC to downstream outlets.
I quoted the part that may exempt them but they are listed for two nm cables. Maybe it is looked at as a cord cap, IDK

iwire

Staff member
I quoted the part that may exempt them but they are listed for two nm cables. Maybe it is looked at as a cord cap, IDK

It is an interesting distinction.

It may meet the letter of the code but I don't see it as meeting the intent.

Perhaps a worthwhile code change as these new devices seem to becoming more popular.

mwm1752

Dennis,
Your first post has a correct drawing of the connecting point. But keep in mind if the countertop beyond the connecting point is does not have a min dimension of 24" deep & 12" wide no recept would be required for the section before the cooktop. Maybe some of your installs had a 12" or greater counter behind the cooktop. Anyway the drawing as shown without an overhang would not be difficult to install a recept wihin 12" of the countertop on thebackside wall space.(which would require a general recept somewhere within 6' of the outer edge of the pennisula) 2 birds with one stone effect?

Status
Not open for further replies.