User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Dry type transformer used as shelf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wbdvt View Post
    Well, this facility is trying to improve their electrical safety and risk so questions are being asked about long standing practices/issues/concerns.

I had thought this would be the correct place to ask this question with all of the experience and diversity here but out of 5 answers only one was serious, valid and helpful. I would have thought that responsible, serious, helpful responses would have been more than 20%.
    Good Heavens - put the knives away and lighten up. It's okay to take the job seriously, just take yourself lightly. The 80% just told you they didn't know where to suggest to look.

What you are asking about is dead freaking normal through the industry. You might find a housekeeping OSHA regulation. It is not an NEC issue, and likely never will be.

Quote Originally Posted by don_resqcapt19 View Post
    If the change made in the first draft report for the 2020 NEC makes it through the process, the following will be added to the end of 450.9
    Transformer top surfaces that are horizontal and readily accessible shall be marked to prohibit storage.
    Interestingly, even this won't make housekeeping an NEC issue. Once the sign gets painted on the transformer, and the inspector is satisfied, that is the end of it. No electrical inspector is going to check back and make sure the house is clean. OSHA might have a fit, the NEC won't.

I personally don't think stacking stuff on top of a transformer is inherently dangerous. However, I have heard of a bunch of research showing the sloppy workplace have increased accidents. And that makes it worth while to generally cleanup - not just the tops of the transformers.

Best I could suggest is to read up on a 1000 pages of OSHA regs - unless it is 2000 pages. And it likely won't be in the electrical section.

However, I suspect the answer is to find a manager with ovaries to step up and say, "We are cleaning this place up. Every day, pickup your work area. Friday afternoon pick up, put away, mop. Everybody is on deck. Areas are assigned." Roll it out slow as a safety issue.

A couple of my clients do this. Works well. Only two issues I've seen:
    At the start, older journeymen aren't interested - they want the kids to do it. "You're going to pay me to mop." Uhhh, yeah, that's what I said - unless you are telling me you can't do it.

Management has to schedule time every day for cleaning. Outrageous Example: You got 8 guys and girls. And you want an hour of cleanup every day. You have to hire another person to makeup the 8 hours. What manager is going to suggest that? No, it isn't that bad, but the point is true. If management wants the place cleaned up - they have to pay the bill.

As for the poor responses, Internet advise is worth what you paid for it. Except for mine. It's worth somewhat less.

the worm
    Without data you’re just another person with an opinion – Edwards Deming

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the worst part about the example is probably the dust from being a couple feet away from a bench grinder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And if you want the crews to stop using the top of the transformer, you are going have to build them a shelf.
    Without data you’re just another person with an opinion – Edwards Deming

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jamieb

In Canada, fire regulations state that you must have at least 6" from any surrounding walls and at least 36" of clearance after that, also nothing to be left on top of the TX.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieb View Post
    In Canada, fire regulations state that you must have at least 6" from any surrounding walls and at least 36" of clearance after that, also nothing to be left on top of the TX.
    Because, you know... "fire."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    You are too far south to have such need.
    The farther south you go, the colder the air conditioning is set. Some places I work in I have to wear a sweater.

Quote Originally Posted by wbdvt View Post
    I had thought this would be the correct place to ask this question with all of the experience and diversity here but out of 5 answers only one was serious, valid and helpful. I would have thought that responsible, serious, helpful responses would have been more than 20%.
    You are correct that this is the right place. You'll find no finer place on the internet to ask such questions. But you didn't do enough research on us. If you had, you would know that joking around and humorous comments are a normal part of this forum. There was no attempt to offend you. Being responsible, serious, and helpful 100% of the time is tiring and boring.
    Last edited by Coppersmith; 12-19-18 at 06:22 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the Disconnect doing behind that warm transformer? lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would this not be considered a violation of 110.26.B, space above electrical equipment?

(B) Clear Spaces. Working space required by this section
    shall not be used for storage.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jraef View Post
    Why would this not be considered a violation of 110.26.B, space above electrical equipment?
    Is the top side of such a unit in the required working space?

Is there a required working space for all transformers?
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before you walk in a room that you know has transformers humming, have you ever tried the 60 cycle hum before you enter? I have it down to one to two cycles in pitch! I would screw up if I went to Canada at 50 cycles! lol