User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33

Thread: Crock Pot Sparks

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    India
    Posts
    2,621
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Every household kitchen needs a megohmeter in the cupboards
    OP may like to do it.
    Last edited by Sahib; 12-22-18 at 11:14 AM.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    954
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    My Wife does not like when I unplug - unused appliances

    I have a habit of unplugging unused appliances and my wife thinks it is unwarranted.
    (understood it needs to be plugged in when being used)

    I have witnessed shorted appliance cords a number of times. Usually a 20 amp circuit so it can make a mess.
    - Resistance is Futile ..... (if less than < 1 ohm) -

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Posts
    9,922
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ELA View Post
    I have a habit of unplugging unused appliances and my wife thinks it is unwarranted.
    (understood it needs to be plugged in when being used)

    I have witnessed shorted appliance cords a number of times. Usually a 20 amp circuit so it can make a mess.
    It is the nature of married couples to disagree. My evidence is anecdotal based on personal observations of others and my own life experience, but I haven't come across an exception yet.
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,814
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make room for undercabinet lights if any!

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    39,705
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ActionDave View Post
    It is the nature of married couples to disagree.
    Quote of the year here
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Bremerton, Washington
    Posts
    8,046
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its likely during the remodel you will end up with AFCI protection, if any recpts are replaced.
    On my kitchen counter, the recp I plug toaster into and unplug is now quite loose. It was probably a .39 cent special I got from Eagle Hardware, before they become Lowes. If I replace it I have to use a AFCI...or probably the DF type with GFCI.
    Moderator-Washington State
    Ancora Imparo

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Posts
    9,922
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tom baker View Post
    Its likely during the remodel you will end up with AFCI protection, if any recpts are replaced.
    On my kitchen counter, the recp I plug toaster into and unplug is now quite loose. It was probably a .39 cent special I got from Eagle Hardware, before they become Lowes. If I replace it I have to use a AFCI...or probably the DF type with GFCI.
    Man oh man! You really know how to have a good time.
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    19,383
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tom baker View Post
    Its likely during the remodel you will end up with AFCI protection, if any recpts are replaced.
    I am concerned about this. The panel was replaced right after we bought the house, about 12 years ago. I do not know whether it is a type that can accept AFCI breakers. In one sense, the receptacles are not being replaced, in that they are essentially being relocated (from wall to under cabinet Wiremold). But the old ones won't be reused, so this is a weak argument. I will discuss with the assigned electrician, but only if he or she mentions it first.

    Charles E. Beck, P.E., Seattle
    Comments based on 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Posts
    9,922
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I am concerned about this. The panel was replaced right after we bought the house, about 12 years ago. I do not know whether it is a type that can accept AFCI breakers. In one sense, the receptacles are not being replaced, in that they are essentially being relocated (from wall to under cabinet Wiremold). But the old ones won't be reused, so this is a weak argument. I will discuss with the assigned electrician, but only if he or she mentions it first.

    Your breaker panel will accept AFCI breakers I'm sure. I would never install them in my own house.
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Jamaica and london
    Posts
    1,301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ELA View Post
    I have a habit of unplugging unused appliances and my wife thinks it is unwarranted.
    (understood it needs to be plugged in when being used)

    I have witnessed shorted appliance cords a number of times. Usually a 20 amp circuit so it can make a mess.
    My own opinion is that the reason why the british designed their outlets with on off switches in them is because they felt that the act of unplugging the cords would lead to the cords eventually breaking from the strain of unplugging them improperly while in a hurry. You want prove this is possible? Own IPads and have grandkids using them... see how many IPad cables you go through yearly. Now imagine it was not 5volts 2Amps but was 120volts 15amps...
    Student of electrical codes. Please Take others advice first.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •