Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Siemens quad breakers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Siemens quad breakers

Hello.
    I have a panel with not enough room that I am trying to install a 240v breaker in. Actually somebody already tried to install a 240v breaker and did it wrong. I am trying to fix it. This panel is one of those annoying panels where to get 240v you need a quad breaker. Well the panel is full of 240v loads already so there is no way I can fit another quad breaker in or move things around. I am writing to see if anybody knows of any breaker ties that can go from the top of a quad breaker to the bottom of a quad breaker (with a breaker tie already in the middle of this quad breaker). Or is there possibly a rule where you can tie the top of one quad breaker together with the bottom of another quad breaker? I am just outta ideas aside from installing a new panel. Thank you. If my picture uploads it’s the breaker on the bottom left that was installed wrong.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like some one has taken the outside handles off of those quad breakers that you have. You can not put a handle on one quad to fit the bottom of an other quad.

I would consider to try to sell them a bigger service or panel...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the ones I see at Home Depot are the same. No outside bars. It would have to be a pretty exotic bar to not get in the way of the middle breakers. Do you believe there is something. I have looked at Siemens site and not seen anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, Siemens make a quad that has handle ties for the middle two and outer two breakers.
    Are you trying to replace that 20A double pole with the Quad?
    If I remember correctly the only thing you need to check is the model number if it has common trip for the outside poles or not, some do some don’t. I would look at the Siemens book for you but I’m not near it right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, they exist. I use them. You didn't say which one you needed, and I couldn't see details in your picture. Here is one example:

https://www.amazon.com/Siemens-Q2202...77716471&psc=1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well your sorta my hero right now with that picture. They were just push on breakers so that’s exactly what I am after!! I will have to go and check with the wholesaler to get me some of those. I really could not find that with google. Haha.

And yes this person needs a new panel. I already have a bunch of work since they have wires doubled up on breakers. It’s so silly cause this was out in last year, undersized. It says cowboy electric which I assume is a bunch of friends doing the work. Oh this is right behind and above a hot water tank.

Thabks all. Huge help. I have so many questions all the time. So thankful to have a place to ask them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The breaker you want has the model number format Q2aabbCT2 where 'aa' and 'bb' are the respective amp ratings you want to combine. You can also use Murray MP2aa2bbCT2 unless not listed on the panel and you have a very persnickety inspector. The 'CT2' suffix is the key indicator that you're getting two 2-poles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the extra info. Your right, I can’t see the breaker specifics either in that photo. But alas you have armed me with enough to keep going, cheers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heretohear View Post
    Thanks for the extra info. Your right, I can’t see the breaker specifics either in that photo. But alas you have armed me with enough to keep going, cheers.
    Above the photo there's also a link to a place that sells them, with a full description, and there were several models that show up on the same page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take the 2 pole 20 out, put in a larger subfeeder to another panel, move the 2 pole 20 to that panel.

Just another option, and leaves room for additional circuits to be added. Putting a quad in what is there is the end of adding circuits to that one.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.