User Tag List

Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: AutoCad to Revit --BIM is the new solution...

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    270
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    AutoCad to Revit --BIM is the new solution...

    The world is changing. Started quite a few years ago but is now getting to the critical mass of change in the industry.

    ANY young guy that wants to put the right value on his/her resume should be doing this NOW.

    Autocad to Revit / which is a tool to BIM. If you are on a service truck, it doesn't matter, learn REVIT. The industry will wait for no one, and this is revolutionizing the construction industry.

    I would say that if you know/ Revit / Navisworks, your resume would be worth more now then ever before. And, getting there first is where you want to be when it comes to how much you can command in salary.

    You guys that want to crawl around in attics all your life doesn't make sense.

    Here is a tip of the future.

    REVIT
    Navisworks
    Augmented Reality
    Data acquisition using drones and cameras (inside)
    BIM, which will tie all these disciplines together. And, the owner will be demanding these for all this in the future. (It's good for us, too)

    Any PM their salt, or thinking to be a PM will start moving to these new ideas. The rest will be left behind.

    Comments are appreciated. "Since I can't be embarrassed, I have nothing to lose but be enlightened."

    Gary

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Tampa, FL, USA
    Posts
    2,007
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary11734 View Post
    The world is changing.

    right value on his/her resume...

    If you are on a service truck, it doesn't matter...

    how much you can command in salary...

    You guys that want to crawl around in attics all your life doesn't make sense.
    Seventeen years ago I had a resume' that I kept updated all the time. I spent lots of time learning new things to put on it so I could chase bigger and bigger bucks. Then the world changed and I became an electrician working for the union. My wages were fixed by the contract. I could learn a couple of specialties to get more jobs, but no more resume' needed.

    Then I became an owner and was no longer a wage slave. I determine how much I make by how much effort I put into getting work. I also determine how much free time I have and take it whenever I want. Life is so much more Zen now.

    Yes, I crawl in attics but I also hire people to crawl in attics for me. The real money comes from owning the business, not from trying to impress an owner. Guys running nonstop on the hampster wheel trying to get a few extra bucks in their paycheck and missing out on life: that's what doesn't make sense to me.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    270
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post
    Seventeen years ago I had a resume' that I kept updated all the time. I spent lots of time learning new things to put on it so I could chase bigger and bigger bucks. Then the world changed and I became an electrician working for the union. My wages were fixed by the contract. I could learn a couple of specialties to get more jobs, but no more resume' needed.

    Then I became an owner and was no longer a wage slave. I determine how much I make by how much effort I put into getting work. I also determine how much free time I have and take it whenever I want. Life is so much more Zen now.

    Yes, I crawl in attics but I also hire people to crawl in attics for me. The real money comes from owning the business, not from trying to impress an owner. Guys running nonstop on the hampster wheel trying to get a few extra bucks in their paycheck and missing out on life: that's what doesn't make sense to me.
    Well, I was an owner for thirty years before retiring and I sure would hire a guy that had this resume. Yes, I made millions in business. And, I'm looking at going back in business since I have done enough golf, flying helicopters, shooting guns and chasing women. Not all of us will be owners. But, if you can make 125,000.00 sitting in an office doing REVIT, which I would not hire a PM now that doesn't know it, why would you crawl in an attic for a lot less money? Of course, we owners need guys that will do that and I have no problem hiring them to do that. I also would encourage them to study and move up.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Tampa, FL, USA
    Posts
    2,007
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary11734 View Post
    I have done enough golf, flying helicopters, shooting guns and chasing women.
    It's hard to believe you could get tired of any of those.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Valdosta, GA
    Posts
    4,319
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don’t completely disagree with you; I do think anyone that’s just getting into the industry should be familiar with these programs.

    But it’s going to be awhile as i think it takes complete integration of all trades on a project utilizing BIM.

    I started looking into it a couple of years ago when we started our pre-fab shop, but again, everyone needs to be doing it for it to work. And not all of us are working on 9-figure projects.

    Right now it’s not worth the investment for us to purchase not only the software but the shop tools required for BIM. We’re a mid 7-figure revenue company doing mostly commercial work that still uses plain two dimensional blueprints.

    As for crawling in attics; there’s still a good living to be made there, and it’s a part of the trade that not only isn’t going away, but is becoming increasingly difficult to find skilled help for.

    Maybe once BIM becomes more mainstream at the top levels it will trickle down to us smaller contractors, but I believe we’re at least a decade or more away from that.

    That said, I’ll embrace any new technology that streamlines our workflow. And at the rate we’ve grown in the past few years, it may not be long before we’re going after jobs using BIM.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    270
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brantmacga View Post
    I don’t completely disagree with you; I do think anyone that’s just getting into the industry should be familiar with these programs.

    But it’s going to be awhile as i think it takes complete integration of all trades on a project utilizing BIM.

    I started looking into it a couple of years ago when we started our pre-fab shop, but again, everyone needs to be doing it for it to work. And not all of us are working on 9-figure projects.

    Right now it’s not worth the investment for us to purchase not only the software but the shop tools required for BIM. We’re a mid 7-figure revenue company doing mostly commercial work that still uses plain two dimensional blueprints.

    As for crawling in attics; there’s still a good living to be made there, and it’s a part of the trade that not only isn’t going away, but is becoming increasingly difficult to find skilled help for.

    Maybe once BIM becomes more mainstream at the top levels it will trickle down to us smaller contractors, but I believe we’re at least a decade or more away from that.

    That said, I’ll embrace any new technology that streamlines our workflow. And at the rate we’ve grown in the past few years, it may not be long before we’re going after jobs using BIM.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    I agree with you 100 percent. I'm not sure it's 10 years, but we are looking at it the same way.

    What I see here is Autocad will dump Autocad in the future for REVIT. It's the next step. You can still use Revit in 2D, but the way you draw is completely changed. Yes, I still use Autocad 2010 when I need to. I have Autocad 2019 on the machine too, but I STILL use 2010! I started with Autocad in 1994, and it's a real pain to try and learn new software when you have a job to do.

    I'm retired and going back into the business. I see I have to get with the program or will get swept away by the new kids on the block.

    BIM is here on the larger projects and I don't want to be one that a general thinks I can't do it. So I learn it. On the smaller ones, at least be ready using Revit and have an advantage over the competition when you can.

    It looks like Autodesk 360 Docs is a good way to go. They are trying, with Trimble, to standardize the market ( or monopolize) it! Followed by ESub for project management and SAGE or Quickbooks Enterprise for accounting. Estimating; Accubid Enterprise with live count.

    I was live in the field with Ipads and WebDev eight years ago which tied to my servers at the shop. Now, it's all cloud-based and you can get the apps right off the self.

    Take a look at Trimble SysQue if you're doing prefab. I'll post a link here. You can build the entire job and it uses the vendors material (Allied Tube, Southwire, etc. ) (boxes, wire, pipe fixtures, etc.) in the program. It will then spit out the Bill of materials that you will buy. I never used the estimate to do this. Never trusted the Estimate to build a job by. Now, its here. And, you are building the job as you want it, post-bid in construction. And, you are in Revit, which ties to BIM if you have to.

    I waiting for virtual reality to get here. It's close and I know what I want from it.

    Another site to check out is StructionSite. Documenting during construction is the way to go. The drones are here but I want an apprentice drone in the building every week documenting the project...

    Oh gosh, I am having fun!


    Here's the link... I don't know if it will work or not. Give it a try. The screen goes live about a minute in.

    https://register.gotowebinar.com/rec...LRECORDINGLINK

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •