circuit tracing

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob52

Looking to start a project that involves a lot of circuit tracing of circuits that are not properly grounded or in some cases grounded at all. Any suggestions on a circuit tracer tat is dependable under these conditions?

kwired

Electron manager
AFAIK most tracers don't care if there is a ground or not. There are basically two types, those that put a signal on a single wire (like a toner) or those that need a closed loop circuit (supply and the transmitter is a load in the circuit). Neither one is dependent on grounding to function.

Cletis

Looking to start a project that involves a lot of circuit tracing of circuits that are not properly grounded or in some cases grounded at all. Any suggestions on a circuit tracer tat is dependable under these conditions?

What are you actually trying to do ?

peter d

Get a pro-grade one. It will cost $500 but is well worth it. The $49 ones are good for residential work only.

jeremy.zinkofsky

I'm guessing here due to lack of info, but you will be tracing these circuits when they're de-energized? If so, why not a meter with a continuity tester. You don't need a ground necessarily, you can use the neutral as your common reference point. Get a couple of walkie talkies, one guy at the panel and one guy in the field.

Same question here as in the original post. I am looking to trace circuits in residential mainly with issues like broken neutrals, hots and grounds on occasions. A lot of the "flipped" houses have circuits that disappear suddenly in walls etc. I would like to be able to trace the wire to the break in the wall or sheetrocked over junction box etc. I still just "follow the wires" mostly to the problem but some of the home "renovators" and do it yourselfers have gotten really creative in how they screw stuff up.

I have searched a few times - years apart and have recently seen some tracers that claim to that from manufacturers I am not familiar with [ "Noyafa In-Wall & underground tracker kit" ??] and many of the products have no reviews.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
I've always used the tone generator you can get in home depots data comm section. The blue and gray one. You can clip one lead to your wire, one to earth ground, hit the wand buton and follow the tone. Lower the dial for accuracy. Only about 80 dolla.I left mine. In my old locker in Fl., went back to pa now she's gone...and nobody knew how to use it ? Boo hoo..pick em up, they're badazz

Status
Not open for further replies.