electricial License help

Status
Not open for further replies.

reyamkram

electricial License help.
Hi, I live in the Hanover park, Il (60133) AREA, and I am looking for some one to help and tutor me, so I can take and pass the electrical exam, I would like to be a certified electrician, I have been working as a maintenance electrician, or an electrical technician for a number of years, in different types of industrial environment's, I want to be a real electrician, not by title only.

is there any one out there that can help, me ???????

Please Replay.

reyamkram.​

mgookin

I'm not familiar with IL licensing but I suggest you research what the prerequisites are to sit for the test and find employment in any areas which you are lacking in.
While you are doing that you can get study material and prepare for the test.

Hi Rey, I can help you with this. I live in Huntley and took my test in 2009. There is a local electrical inspector that offers complete test prep and code review out of Crystal Lake and Rolling Meadows. Cost was about $1200 when i took it, but it was worth every penny. I will send you his contact info in an instant message if i can figure out how to do that here. I recommend the Woodstock test since its the hardest, takes 4 hours, but if you pass you can feel confident in your abilities. Some other Illinois municipal testing bodies are much easier and dont require insurance, but I personally liked the challenge, and i would never work without insurance.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
... I will send you his contact info in an instant message if i can figure out how to do that here.
Using Tapatalk, on any of the main forum pages (not individual threads) look for the envelope icon on the top menu bar. It will take you into the Private Message function.
Note that some forums require a minimum number of posts before the PM function is available and you probably do not qualify yet. Also a newby may not be able to reply to a PM you send once you get access.

Thanks Golddigger, actually i was able to click on Reys name and that took me to his profile where i was able to click on a message link in his profile. We will see if he got it later.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
AFAIK there is no statewide electrician license in Illinois.

A fair number of localities have various requirements ranging from all but nothing to some that are downright oppressive.

I don't know that there is all that much in the way of reciprocity either.

used to be that in Rockford you could become an electrical contractor by passing a 25 question T/F test and paying $20.

My Woodstock Illinois license is accepted in all the municipalities i have worked in with the exception of Chicago. Chicago has its own way of doing everything.

Actually, nearly every community within 50 miles of Chicago requires EMT at a minimum. I was just saying that Chicago mandates that you have their license. Its all about revenue enhancement in Chicago. Pay for their interpretation of the NEC, pay for their test, pay for their license, bond requirements are higher, etc. I just choose not to work there.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Actually, nearly every community within 50 miles of Chicago requires EMT at a minimum. I was just saying that Chicago mandates that you have their license. Its all about revenue enhancement in Chicago. Pay for their interpretation of the NEC, pay for their test, pay for their license, bond requirements are higher, etc. I just choose not to work there.

EMT for single family dwelling too?

arfrcchic

electricial License help.
Hi, I live in the Hanover park, Il (60133) AREA, and I am looking for some one to help and tutor me, so I can take and pass the electrical exam, I would like to be a certified electrician, I have been working as a maintenance electrician, or an electrical technician for a number of years, in different types of industrial environment's, I want to be a real electrician, not by title only.

is there any one out there that can help, me ???????

Please Replay.

reyamkram.​

Have you looked into your local ibew hall? They have a number of programs available to train you to become a qualified electrician while working and getting paid. And sometimes you can skip ahead in the program depending on your experience. I wouldn't rule it out. It's a great opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.