User Tag List

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15

Thread: Experiments

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, not sure i trust any of these links.

I select "increase linear" but the answer says "correct, exponential" ???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
    I am thinking the tube will not light.
    You realize the "light" mentioned here won't ordinarily be at full design output of the lamp, and most cases will need to be in very dark conditions to see the "light".
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FionaZuppa View Post
    Where does the term "electrical strength" come from? We describe items in terms of resistance (R), or conductance (1/R).
    In my physics classes it was called dielectric strength.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggunn View Post
    In my physics classes it was called dielectric strength.
    Which can be expressed in terms of a) ability to resist, or b) ability to conduct, with b=1/a
    The nomenclature used sometimes gets scrambled with the words placed around it, and especially when the nomenclature changes to something like "electrical strength". It's just a measurement if dielectric property, nothing more.

So, lighting a bulb is using power. Is it stealing? Dunno. I guess as long as you are not trespassing its not stealing power.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FionaZuppa View Post
    Which can be expressed in terms of a) ability to resist, or b) ability to conduct, with b=1/a
    The nomenclature used sometimes gets scrambled with the words placed around it, and especially when the nomenclature changes to something like "electrical strength". It's just a measurement if dielectric property, nothing more.
    Relative permittivity is a measure of capacitance of different materials and it is an index with a value of 1.000 for a vacuum, which has the lowest permittivity possible. The absolute permittivity of free space (a vacuum) is about 8.5 X 10^-12 Farads per meter. I admit I had to look it up, but when I was in school I had it memorized.

Dry air has a permittivity very close to that of a vacuum.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/r...ty-d_1660.html

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    190119-1400 EST

FionaZuppa:

Dielectric strength is a measure of where an insulating material breaks down destructively. Measured in volts per some unit of length. For many materials this is in the range of possibly 500 to 1500 volts per 0.001".

From the Internet
    As with most materials, the AC dielectric strength in kV/mm decreases as the film thickness increases. For instance, 6 µm Mylar® film has a dielectric strength of over 600 kV/mm while 350µm Mylar® has a dielectric strength of about 80 kV/mm at 25°C.Apr 3, 2017
    Note: 1 mm = about 40/1000". 1 micro meter about 40/1,000,000".

In general you can not continuously operate near the dielectric strength of a material and get good life of the product.