User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: PG&E filing bankruptcy....

Huntington Beach, CA (19 Hrs. 22 Min. from Winged Horses)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PG&E filing bankruptcy....

whatcha all think about this?

let's try if possible, not to politically lock the thread, at least until someone
    can't control their point of view... ;-)

my thought is, if utilities are held accountable, they either raise their rates to
    allow for this, to the extent possible, or we all eat it when they fold.

it's not like we have comparative shopping options here...
    ~New signature under construction.~
    ~~~~Please excuse the mess.~~~~

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just an accounting /lawyer function.
    However stock and investors will take a huge hit and the rate payers will pickup the slack. Unless the are another "too large to fail" and the U.S. as a whole will pay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I'm still paying for NV Energy's investments in Enron.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    News reports yesterday said that PG&E ratepayers are still paying off the last set of post-bankruptcy bonds, from 15+ years ago (?, I'm too lazy to look that up).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have forest land in Lewis county WA.

The poco in Lewis county is a PUD, Tacoma city light has 2 large and 2 smaller dams in the county that the PUD gets power from.

Rates are still low, under 10 cent kW-hr.

Nearly 30 years ago, simply from a maintenance standpoint, the PUD put all rural power lines underground. Much lower fire danger in Lewis county and wet 10 months out of the year, but just from savings in replacing downed lines, believe the PUD paid for all the underground work years ago.

The big 345 kV lines and similar are still above ground though, but the access to those is well maintained.

What I've read, is the CampFire got out of control because of the lack of accessibility by fire crews to the downed line area - Maddog likely has some detailed info on the specifics of how the fire got out of control.

I don't know when most the houses in Paradise were built, but youngest son built a house outside Nevada City, CA about 8 years ago and the codes then dictated fire resistance - metal or tile roof, NO eaves, ember resistant venting, stucco or similar outside, triple pane e-coated windows, specific vegetation clearance requirements, etc..... Nevada City about 70 mi SE of Paradise on some type Sierra foothills terrain.
    Last edited by junkhound; 01-16-19 at 11:04 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by junkhound View Post
    I don't know when most the houses in Paradise were built, but youngest son built a house outside Nevada City, CA about 8 years ago and the codes then dictated fire resistance - metal or tile roof, NO eaves, ember resistant venting, stucco or similar outside, triple pane e-coated windows, specific vegetation clearance requirements, etc..... Nevada City about 70 mi SE of Paradise on some type Sierra foothills terrain.
    Why no eaves? Is it because a fire next to the house would have a pathway into the attic?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggunn View Post
    Why no eaves? Is it because a fire next to the house would have a pathway into the attic?
    Seems logical. We've had several huge apartment building fires around here where an unattended grill or smoker's can on a top-floor balcony would burn up and through an eave. The eaves on my house are only 1/4" plywood.

Nevada City was an interesting place to be in August 2003 when the humidity was 10 percent, the air temp was 100 degrees, trees towering over you, and thunderstorms were on the way.
    Gregg

I'm just here for the pictures!

Huntington Beach, CA (19 Hrs. 22 Min. from Winged Horses)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    we are *all* still paying for enron, you aren't special. sorry...... :-/
    ~New signature under construction.~
    ~~~~Please excuse the mess.~~~~

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fulthrotl View Post
    whatcha all think about this?

let's try if possible, not to politically lock the thread, at least until someone
    can't control their point of view... ;-)

my thought is, if utilities are held accountable, they either raise their rates to
    allow for this, to the extent possible, or we all eat it when they fold.

it's not like we have comparative shopping options here...
    Are they filing or done so already?
    Tom
    TBLO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is an interesting question and for those who aren't in that area, PG and E is private, but a monopoly in most of California, so in my mind this discussion is germane to all public entities, government, monopolies etc. Remember that the movie Erin Brockovich was about PG and E negligence. The reason I bring it up is because from a moral, not a legal perspective, the Erin suit was valid. I am not so sure about the recent ones, specifically that big gas explosion and the fires. If either are shown to be intentional negligence or failure to perform work they were required to do, then yes they are liable, but if not then it is an example of our TOO litigious society. Just like any government, though, the options are everybody ponies up, or there is anarchy. I don't see any other option.

I know what I don't know, and I know where to go to find it!