User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fire alarm device compatibility: Siemens devices w/ new non-proprietary system

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathankpa View Post
    gadfly56 - I believe they are not happy with Siemen's cost & support. Not sure about specific reasons. Yes - it's an MXL-IQ

So if we switch to a non-proprietary system like Firelite, we would need all new devices, but could reuse the wiring?
    Generally, yes. If they are not happy with Siemens, assuming they are dealing with a Siemens office, there are any number of value added re-sellers (VAR's) who could service the panel. Kistler-O'Brien comes to mind. I don't have an affiliation with them, but I know they are one of the larger VAR's for Siemens and they are based in Pennsylvania.

For a non-proprietary system, I have found Silent Knight to be very flexible, easy to install, and easy to program.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I despise Siemens. Go Gamewell.
    Mt. Falls, Va.
    "Not a sermon, just a thought"
    A licensed electrically-related individual

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtfallsmikey View Post
    I despise Siemens. Go Gamewell.
    I despise all proprietary systems, period.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peter d View Post
    I despise all proprietary systems, period.
    Even though Simplex, now Johnson Controls is the worst of them, the addressable notification devices they now have, are the cat's meow. Especially when you are in a complex initiation and notification building like a hotel with suites, handicap, hearing impaired, carbon monoxide detectors with a different audible tone, etc.

I know what I don't know, and I know where to go to find it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Strathead View Post
    Even though Simplex, now Johnson Controls is the worst of them, the addressable notification devices they now have, are the cat's meow. Especially when you are in a complex initiation and notification building like a hotel with suites, handicap, hearing impaired, carbon monoxide detectors with a different audible tone, etc.
    I will repeat a comment I've made previously; addressable notification appliances are a solution in search of a problem. They don't offer anything that can't be achieved by using a signal or control module (depending on the manufacturer's nomenclature) and standard NAC devices. Otherwise, it's the joy of trouble-shooting three sources when the device goes down; power, SLC, and speaker (for high-rise/mass notification).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadfly56 View Post
    I will repeat a comment I've made previously; addressable notification appliances are a solution in search of a problem. They don't offer anything that can't be achieved by using a signal or control module (depending on the manufacturer's nomenclature) and standard NAC devices. Otherwise, it's the joy of trouble-shooting three sources when the device goes down; power, SLC, and speaker (for high-rise/mass notification).
    I know you have a lot of experience with fire alarm, more than me, I think. But I see huge advantages to the addressable. When you have a multi floor hotel, some of the parameters required are:

• individual system smokes need to notify only the room or suite they are in.
    • rooms with hearing impaired have high candela strobes that need to comply with the above, but also go off during a general alarm.
    • some areas have system carbon monoxide detection. When that goes off it needs to send a supervisory to the desk, but also trigger a temporal code 4 for only the devices in that suite.

It is so simple to program different temporal codes for different actions, and trigger only specific NAC devices for specific initiating actions.

With a conventional system every room has to have a control relay with a constant 24V for single room notification, along with a separate NAC zone for the hallways or the smoke detectors have to have a control relay and extra wiring. I don't even know how you accomplish the CO tone, without putting an additional device in.

Perhaps your state doesn't require a Temporal code three for NAC and a code 4 for CO, but I think that is national.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [*]rooms with hearing impaired have high candela strobes that need to comply with the above, but also go off during a general alarm.[*]some areas have system carbon monoxide detection. When that goes off it needs to send a supervisory to the desk, but also trigger a temporal code 4 for only the devices in that suite.[/LIST]
    .[/QUOTE]

I'm curious, what is source of this requirements. code? Guide? State? Local? Best practice?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by victor.cherkashi View Post
    [*]rooms with hearing impaired have high candela strobes that need to comply with the above, but also go off during a general alarm.[*]some areas have system carbon monoxide detection. When that goes off it needs to send a supervisory to the desk, but also trigger a temporal code 4 for only the devices in that suite.[/LIST]
    I'm curious, what is source of this requirements. code? Guide? State? Local? Best practice?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

A little of each. Rooms for hearing impaired have to have 177CD strobes within 15' of each pillow in a room. They have to go off with the suite smoke detector/s and with general alarm. that is code
    CO detectors I think the requirement is by state In my State if there is gas in the building then they are required in the room with gas and all surrounding rooms. The code 4 temporal, I believe is a national code. Whether they are tied in to the fire alarm system, I believe is preference.

Smoke detectors in rooms don't need to be tied in tot he fire alarm system, but many hotel chains require it.