User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Here's one for ya...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by electrofelon View Post
    I agree its a little more straightforward in 2017. Under 2014, the way I read it, it doesnt seem doable with string inverters. Good point about the wiring method, thats a concern too.
    I reread 2014 and saw the 'PV conductors of more than 5ft inside a building', which would almost certainly include your module to module conductors. So I agree that under that you can't do it with string inverters unless you can win the 'inside the building' part of the argument. Or unless you could convince your AHJ that the conductor length is only counted from the module j-box to the connector!

Maybe if you employ the same methods that are sometimes employed to 'guard' conductors on readily accessible ground mounts, then you could convince an AHJ that the conductors are not 'inside' the building. i.e. since they are contained inside the 'roof'. i.e. the way the roofing paper between shingles and plywood isn't 'inside' the building. If I were an AHJ I would probably accept that, but I'm not one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With regard to my last paragraph of the previous post, and the 2017 code, see 690.12(B)(3). If you can build the array with frameless modules and 'no exposed wiring methods' then you could still use a string.