shunt trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohmhead

Question were in the NEC can I find anything for a shunt trip on a service . Is this a building code or is this in the NEC I can not find it in the NEC .

luckylerado

Question were in the NEC can I find anything for a shunt trip on a service . Is this a building code or is this in the NEC I can not find it in the NEC .

230.70 permits it but does not require it. I have installed these in the past but I do not remember if it was a local code or a spec requirement.

kwired

Electron manager
Words "shunt trip" are not used, but 230.70(A)(3) allows a remote control device to actuate the service disconnecting means - shunt trip fits that description.

Then there is 230.76(2) which applies to power operable disconnecting means, which isn't exactly same thing as shunt trip, but is still a remote means of operating the switch - and does require the switch to be manually operable when power supply fails - just like a shunt trip breaker would be.

ohmhead

How about this approach, why are you asking?

Because this is the first job that doesn't show one on the drawings so when we write the RFI to engineer we would like to see if the NEC covers it which we cant find it stating anything about a shunt trip . This is a sports stadium which has a few services and we are now thinking it maybe a building code or fire code . Thanks for the info

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Because this is the first job that doesn't show one on the drawings so when we write the RFI to engineer we would like to see if the NEC covers it which we cant find it stating anything about a shunt trip . This is a sports stadium which has a few services and we are now thinking it maybe a building code or fire code . Thanks for the info

Is this related to elevator/escalator service, or a kitchen suppression system?

dkidd

Occupation
PE
OP said service. Elevator supply would be a feeder or branch circuit. It is a common local fire department or utility requirement.

gadfly56

Occupation
OP said service. Elevator supply would be a feeder or branch circuit. It is a common local fire department or utility requirement.

The OP said the stadium has "a few services" but didn't give the nature of the service he's shutting down, nor if it was at the service entrance or at some downstream location. Inquiring minds still want to know.

ohmhead

The OP said the stadium has "a few services" but didn't give the nature of the service he's shutting down, nor if it was at the service entrance or at some downstream location. Inquiring minds still want to know.

Ok
Where doing a brand new sports stadium it has a few services two 4000amp mains one 1000 amp main one 2000 amp main. Now normally on every job we install shunt trip buttons . This is to trip the building services each or one at a time when fire or and emergency exists so fire dept. can disconnect the service or services in the area of emergency. Our question was is this in the NEC code book ? If it is we cant find it so what were asking is. Is it in the code book or not? I came here because when I cant find something in the code book so i am asking the Mike Holt forum which is the best way to see if I missed it . It really doesn't matter what the service is or why it needs to be shut down we just need to see if its in the code book. This is my first job it has not been on the drawings so were looking into it more so, if its code? or what code it maybe in?

We don't used the mains on service for this, the shunt trips are (big yellow) or( red momentary buttons) which are mounted at 7 feet high on outside of a building in one location there labeled shunt trip and each is identified with a plate stating what it is disconnecting. It also can be in located in a security room which is mounted so the security team or anyone that needs to disconnect power can.

So is it in the code book is it in the NEC ?

ohmhead

Words "shunt trip" are not used, but 230.70(A)(3) allows a remote control device to actuate the service disconnecting means - shunt trip fits that description.

Then there is 230.76(2) which applies to power operable disconnecting means, which isn't exactly same thing as shunt trip, but is still a remote means of operating the switch - and does require the switch to be manually operable when power supply fails - just like a shunt trip breaker would be.

Thanks for your info this is the best answer thank you .

ADub

Occupation
Estimator/Project Manager
Ok
Where doing a brand new sports stadium it has a few services two 4000amp mains one 1000 amp main one 2000 amp main. Now normally on every job we install shunt trip buttons . This is to trip the building services each or one at a time when fire or and emergency exists so fire dept. can disconnect the service or services in the area of emergency. Our question was is this in the NEC code book ? If it is we cant find it so what were asking is. Is it in the code book or not? I came here because when I cant find something in the code book so i am asking the Mike Holt forum which is the best way to see if I missed it . It really doesn't matter what the service is or why it needs to be shut down we just need to see if its in the code book. This is my first job it has not been on the drawings so were looking into it more so, if its code? or what code it maybe in?

We don't used the mains on service for this, the shunt trips are (big yellow) or( red momentary buttons) which are mounted at 7 feet high on outside of a building in one location there labeled shunt trip and each is identified with a plate stating what it is disconnecting. It also can be in located in a security room which is mounted so the security team or anyone that needs to disconnect power can.

I don't believe you'll ever find a requirement for shunt trips on standard service in the book. Honestly I'm a little surprised it's something you've seen a lot even though I understand the desire for remote shutdown on a building as big as a stadium. I've only ever seen it specified on elevators and x Ray machines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ohmhead

You will if you want it to pass an inspection. This is required when sprinkled.

We pass inspections on all our jobs usually we have 8 to 12 elevators and multiple escalators never have had a shunt trip on a elevator why would you need it .
Is this required were your from is this state elevator inspector.

ohmhead

I don't believe you'll ever find a requirement for shunt trips on standard service in the book. Honestly I'm a little surprised it's something you've seen a lot even though I understand the desire for remote shutdown on a building as big as a stadium. I've only ever seen it specified on elevators and x Ray machines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ive seen EPO buttons on UPS and Xray but not on a elevator .

gadfly56

Occupation
Ok

No, it is not. If required, it's either a spec requirement or a local amendment.

Status
Not open for further replies.